Greekfest raises money for United Way

Greekfest concluded Saturday despite a week filled with unexpected weather conditions. The annual event is a system-wide philanthropic effort to raise money for Monroe County United Way.\nThe actual amount of money raised has not been finalized, but senior Sarah Crider, Panhellenic Association vice president of community relations, said the amount could be between $8,000 and $10,000. \nSeveral events, including a king and queen competition, a blood drive, a t-shirt sale, greek olympics and miss-a-meal -- where houses did not serve a meal and donated the amount it would have cost -- helped to raise money. \n"We raised a lot of money off the king and queen competition and the miss-a-meal," Crider said. "The T-shirt sales were also very successful." Both Crider and junior Brad Patterson, vice president of campus relations for Interfraternity Council, said the blood drive was overwhelmingly the most successful Greekfest event, with 240 members of the greek system donating blood. \nOther events greeks participated in included a banner contest, sorority aerobics and an educational speaker presentation.\nFriday at the greek olympics, points for each chapter were tallied and the winners were announced. Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Upsilon, Sigma Lambda Gamma and Kappa Alpha Psi were determined the winners.\n"The majority of our chapter participated," said junior Christina Sandoval, a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma. "A lot of us did the blood drive, and we also made a banner."\nDespite the cold weather and muddy ground, attendance at the olympics was very high. Greeks gathered for Pizza Express, music and the chance to watch their chapter members participate in events such as sumo wrestling and tug of war.\n"The sumo wrestling event was so much fun," said participant Rachel Sposeep, a sophomore. "They should have it again next year."\nThis year was one of the first times Greekfest was sponsored by all four greek councils. Patterson said the collaboration was a success.\n"All the councils did a lot," Patterson said. "I was very pleased with the results."\nCrider said it was a good week.\n"Overall it was very successful," she said. "We are at a starting point to help Greekfest become more successful in the future"