Freshman fights injury to play big role for the Hoosiers

In baseball, there is always a player that is considered the "utility" player. He's a player that could play any position on the field the coach feels necessary. For the women's soccer team, the utility player is freshman Kim Sturm. \nLast year Sturm had to fight through an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury that had benched her during her senior year of high school and her freshman year at IU. Despite the injury, she has returned this season to play an extensive amount of roles on the field. \nAlthough she played eight games and didn't score a point this season, many consider Sturm's role vital. She has played every position on the field except goalie, filling in for injured players this season.\n"Kim has a positive attitude on and off the field," senior forward Wendy Graves said. "She constantly encourages players to compete at a high level. She has a great personality that allows her to communicate well with everyone."\nLast season was a tough one for Sturm, as she was benched when she wanted to be on the field with her teammates. Sturm described the time as one of the worst of her life.\n"There was a real low point where I was constantly doubting myself and was unsure if I would ever reach the level I was at before," Sturm said. "Mentally, I had to keep telling myself that I was getting better and I had to put the past behind me. Getting back the physical strength was easy, getting over the mentality of being injured was the most difficult part."\nSturm was able to come back from the injury, crediting her team and coaches for the support to make the comeback possible.\n"The whole coaching staff and the entire team were extremely patient in helping me recover," Sturm said. "They never rushed me into doing something I wasn't ready for but at the same time they pushed me to always try to improve."\nNow that Sturm has made it back to playing condition, she has set her goal to be the player she could have been if she hadn't been hurt.\n"My major goal after surgery was to first get back to the level I was at before and then to improve all around as a player," she said. "But I had to take things one day at a time and keep things in perspective while looking forward to the future."\nThis season, Sturm has played the opposite role she played her last two. Sturm has been coming in at various positions on the field for the players who have missed a portion of the season with injuries.\n"Because she understands soccer and understands the game, we're able to use her in different situations and different areas of the field," coach Joe Kelley said. "We've put her in some very difficult situations this year where she went into the game and did great. I thought when she went into the game against Minnesota and erased Alison Rackley. That was awesome."\nSturm just feels fortunate to be playing after being benched for so long.\n"I feel lucky that I can help our team by filling so many roles," Sturm said. "The hardest part is that I always have to be mentally prepared to step into any position at any time, but the support of the team makes it much easier. I know I can always count on them for advice and words of encouragement"