Football team tries to salvage season

Captains organize team meeting after 58-0 loss

Ten minutes was all it took.\nAfter getting pounded 58-0 at Michigan on ABC regional television and before 110,909 fans, the seniors and leaders of the football team called a meeting Sunday afternoon to discuss the loss. \n"It lasted ten minutes because that's all that needed to be said," senior defensive tackle and co-captain Paul Mandina said. "It was straight, direct and to the point, and we have a good feeling about it."\nHe said he did not want to comment on what was said.\nDealing with adversity is nothing new for the Hoosiers. IU's season started with a fourth quarter meltdown against North Carolina State and a close loss a week later at Kentucky.\nThe Hoosiers (2-4, 1-2 in Big Ten play) were also forced to deal with the death of assistant head coach Pete Schmidt less than three weeks ago. Mandina, along with co-captains, senior wide receiver Versie Gaddis, junior defensive end Kemp Rasmussen and junior quarterback Antwaan Randle El, have had their hands full this season keeping the team together.\n"I don't know how talented we are, but I do think we have character on this team," coach Cam Cameron said. "I think we got leadership, and some things took place on Sunday that were positive."\nA year ago, the Hoosiers were in a similar situation after a 59-0 loss Oct. 16, 1999, at Wisconsin. The Hoosiers managed to bounce back from the defeat, picking up a road victory the next Saturday at Iowa. IU's worst loss in Cameron's four years as head coach was a 62-0 defeat Oct. 25, 1997, at Iowa. \nThe Hoosiers resumed practice Tuesday, but not until after viewing the tape of Saturday's game. Cameron said no IU player played well enough for the Hoosiers to upset the Wolverines. Cameron added that watching the tape proved a difficult experience.\n"A, it's painful. B, you would like to throw it away and not look at it, but it's there," he said. "That is our team. That is the team I coach. That is the team we coach. That is us and to be blind to that fact would be a mistake."\nDespite Saturday's setback, the Hoosiers aren't ready to wave the white flag yet. IU has five games remaining and for any chance of a bowl bid they must win at least four.\n Two of IU's final five games are against No. 22 Minnesota and No. 17 Purdue, who are tied for the Big Ten lead with No. 16 Michigan and No. 25 Northwestern. The Hoosiers' other three opponents, Wisconsin, Penn State and Illinois have a total of three Big Ten victories.\n"We got five games left and we got to play them all," Gaddis said. "You can't quit in the middle of the season"