Women golfers place 8th at tourney

Some great scores, some not-so-great scores, but not enough good scores.\nIt proved to be the downfall at times last season for the IU women's golf team, and the first tournament of the season was no exception this past weekend. \nThe lack of consistent scoring hurt the IU women's golf team last weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich. In a rain-shortened tournament in which Saturday's play was entirely cancelled because of flooded greens, the 15-team field played 18 holes Sunday to determine a winner. \nMinnesota took first-place honors with a team score of 296. IU finished in eighth place with a score of 309. Out of the seven Big Ten teams competing in the tournament, the Hoosiers placed above only one, Wisconsin.\nMinnesota senior Jenny Bruun posted a 2-under par 70 to tie Michigan's Kim Benedict for first place. Bruun captured medalist honors on a playoff, hitting par on the first playoff hole, while Benedict bogeyed. \nThe Hoosiers carded several strong scores in the tournament. Senior Natalie Tucker continued where she left off in her strong season last year, placing third among all tournament competitors by shooting a 72 (36-36).\nOne surprise for coach Sam Carmichael's squad was the emergence of Danah Ford. The sophomore, who redshirted last season, played well in her first collegiate tournament, firing a 76 (38-38), good for 19th place.\nNo other Hoosier cracked the top 50. Junior Tiffany Fisher who carded a two-round total of 80, finished in 53rd place. Freshman Karen Dennison tied for 57th place with a score of 81 (38-43). Freshman Ambry Bishop finished with an 85 (41-44). \nIU travels to Minnesota next for the Northern Invitational, which begins this Friday and concludes Sunday.