'The General' orders retreat

Knight's decision not to teach basketball class is unfortunate

Coach Bob Knight, entering his 30th season at IU, has lived in the spotlight and been the center of enormous media exposure. Whether it was winning three NCAA championships or throwing a chair during a game against Purdue, Knight has become arguably the most noteworthy college basketball coach. \nHe has also been innovative, as the only Big Ten basketball coach to teach a university course about the coaching of basketball. But this year, Knight has dropped that unique duty because of the "nebulous guidelines of the 'zero-tolerance policy,'" according to basketball sports information director Todd Starowitz. \nAfter an extensive investigation into alleged misconduct by Knight, the board of trustees in May issued Knight a zero-tolerance policy, a $30,000 fine and a three-game suspension. \nFollowing the announcement, Knight issued a written statement which said he could successfully abide by this policy and continue to coach basketball at IU.\n"I have absolutely no problem with the guidelines," Knight wrote. "The establishment of effective and proper guidelines can, in the long run, help me become a better coach."\nDuring past semesters, Knight has always attended at least eight of the 16 scheduled classes for A362, Coaching of Basketball, Starowitz said. Knight isn't paid as a teacher for the course.\nIt is respectable that Knight would volunteer his time to teach a course without compensation. But the fact that he taught on a volunteer basis should not make him believe it is OK to abruptly stop teaching it. Students who enrolled in the class looked forward to meeting Knight, and they were disappointed.\nIt is understandable that Knight wants to eliminate any danger of violating his policy, but he stated he would have no trouble following the guidelines. Obviously, he thinks he will.\nKnight must realize that the best way for him to win this battle is to continue his traditional roles in the University and fulfill the needs of the students who still look up to him.\nOtherwise, it looks like 'The General' is retreating.\nStaff vote: 11-2-2