Texas soccer transfer fills defensive position

Josh Rife could've stayed with the Texas Christian University soccer team this season, retained his starting position in the midfield and perhaps won more All-WAC honors.\nBut Rife didn't want what he had at TCU ' job security. He wanted to play for the best.\nSo when he considered where he might transfer, he considered one school.\nIU.\nSince men's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley had seen Rife play at the Butler Soccer Classic last season, and liked what he saw, he considered Rife as well.\nNow Rife is IU's starting sweeper and the anchor of an inexperienced defense.\n"The coaches asked me where I'd like to play, and then they kinda hinted at they were probably looking at me in the back," said Rife, a second-team All-WAC player in 1999. "So I had an idea coming in where I'd be.\n"You know, the coaches have been helping me out a lot, and the players have been real supportive and everything. They're just helping make the transition smooth and everything like that. It's a new position playing sweeper. But things are coming along. I think every game it's getting better."\nEvery game, thus far, has consisted of two exhibition games. The Hoosiers won both games, but were never seriously tested.\nThis weekend, however, Rife will see just how well he's adapted to his new position. The Hoosiers play Portland and UCLA Friday and Saturday, respectively, in the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic.\nYeagley has been impressed with Rife in practices and exhibitions and hopes he will continue to play well this weekend.\n"Josh has been a pleasant surprise," Yeagley said. "He's a midfielder who would prefer playing midfield, but he's doing an excellent job so far as sweeper. You can hear him. He's talking. He's demanding. And he's only been with this team for two weeks. He's strong, he's good in the air, he's mobile.\n"He's taken hold of that position at least until now. We'll see. I hope he can continue that this weekend. This will be his first real test. But I'm very pleased so far."\nSo is senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig, who's had MLS player and former All-American Nick Garcia as his sweeper the past three seasons.\n"Josh has stepped in and he's done really well," Hannig said. "He's willing to listen. He's ready to learn the position. He hasn't stepped in and really played that position before. But he's adjusting to it really well. He's adapted quickly to our system of play.\n"When Nicky came in, he wasn't even a defender; he was a midfielder himself. He was thrown back there and played as a freshman, and I wasn't nervous at all. I know Josh can step in and do the job."\nBut Rife's job doesn't merely require switching from midfielder to sweeper.\nIt requires being the team leader, the guy who tells everyone else where to be and when to be there.\nIn short, it requires telling teammates you've played with for a few weeks what they need to do.\nRife hasn't had a problem with his role, though. He came to Bloomington for a week this summer and met some of the players while he was here. He said all of the players have been very helpful in accepting him as part of the team.\nSo Rife has adjusted to his position. He has adjusted to his teammates. The only thing he said he's still completely adjusting to is the atmosphere.\n"The biggest thing is the fans," he said. "When we were up in Fort Wayne last weekend (for two exhibition games), (there were) just kids coming up before the game wanting autographs, at halftime wanting autographs, after the game. You just don't get that down at TCU, so it's a totally different environment."\nAnd one that Rife's willing to get used to.