Sororities meet to explain recruitment

Multicultural Greek Council members to speak

The Panhellenic Association, Multicultural Greek Council and IU Pan-Hellenic Council are co-sponsoring an informational recruitment meeting at 8 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium.\nGreek Opportunities for Women is held every year prior to recruitment, but in the past it only included representatives from PHA.\nSenior Veronica Salenda, a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority which is affiliated with MCGC, said the minority greek councils are excited about having the opportunity to participate in the meeting.\n"Last year we didn't get to speak at the meeting," she said. "This year we have the opportunity to explain what MCGC is about, what the sororities are made of and how we recruit."\nPHA Vice President of Recruitment Alyson Jamell, a senior, said the meeting is a great opportunity for women to learn about recruitment.\n"Women will be given a rundown of how the recruitment process works," Jamell said. "We will have speakers, and there will be a video showing clips from different chapter events. Women will have the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the meeting."\nJamell also said the meeting will serve as the first opportunity for women to register for PHA formal recruitment. The cost of registration is $40. A booklet containing information about each chapter, including grades, philanthropy reports and financial information, is included in the cost of registration.\nJamell said PHA chapters will have tables set up so that women can meet chapter representatives and ask questions.\n"Each PHA chapter will have two representatives," she said. "They will have information displayed such as pictures and trophies. Women can learn a little about each individual chapter."\nSalenda said those interested in recruitment for MCGC and PHC should be on the lookout for information about separate recruitment meetings held by the individual sororities.\nJunior Leah Salmon, director of membership development for PHA, said in a press release PHA is excited that MCGC and IU-PHC will be participating in the meeting so that women will have the chance to explore more options of greek life.\n"Our goal is high attendance," Jamell said. "We really want girls to attend so that they can register for recruitment and have their questions answered"