New times on Iran's horizon

Sarah Khosravi's resume reads well. She is in charge of the Ministry of Sciences, Research and Technology and she also holds a master's degree in management and is a political activist. \nBut people will remember most her most as the first woman to challenge the patriarchy of Iran and run for the presidency, something indicative of the political and social changes taking place in Iran.\nMany people credit President Mohammed Khatami for the improvements regarding women's status in Iran. According to The Associated Press, more than 50 percent of the first-year students at Iranian universities were women. \nKhatami also appointed a woman as one of his vice presidents, and 11 women sit in Iran's 290-seat parliament. Women can run for political office in Iran, but they are far from men's political equals, as the numbers illustrate. Khosravi ran for office twice, but failed to win a seat.\nPreviously, a woman running for president is a notion that has not garnered wide support. In 1997, the Guardian Council, which acts as an upper chamber of parliament and oversees elections, rejected an application from a woman who wanted to run for the president, according to The Associated Press, saying the act was "unconstitutional." \nThe constitution reads that the presidency is open to "rijal," a Farsi term that has traditionally been interpreted to mean men. Some experts say the definition should be interpreted as "respectable people," regardless of gender. \nSome believe placing her on the ballot was a stunt by political groups who are trying to defeat the current and very popular Khatami. Khosravi is considered a long-shot, at best, against Khatami, who was elected with more than 70 percent of the vote, according to The Associated Press. Women and young Iranians -- probably Khosravi's most likely constituency -- support Khatami, sources say. \nThe political group Khosravi belongs to is in the minority, and although they lost the presidency in 1997 and control of parliament, they are still powerful. The group is led by radical Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and have tried to stall Khatami's reformist movement, which causes their support of Khosravi's candidacy to come into question. The hard-liners, as they are called, still control the judiciary, military and broadcast networks. \nIf the Guardian Council approves her application for presidency, Khosravi will be a pioneer. Iran receives massive media attention for crimes against women, and perhaps, her candidacy can help the status of women on a national level. It may be true that she is a kamikaze on a political death mission, but still, you go girl.