Men's soccer opens Big 10 season

For almost a decade, the men's soccer team has dominated the Big Ten. The Hoosiers won eight of nine conference championships, and they are undefeated in 25 games against Michigan State.\nBut things could change in the 2000 season.\nThe Hoosiers lost all their All-Americans from last year's team, have a record of 5-3 and the rest of the Big Ten has improved. Penn State, for example, ranks fourth in the nation, is undefeated and finished last season with a loss in the Final Four.\nBut IU coach Jerry Yeagley said he's not looking ahead to the Nittany Lions. The Hoosiers face Penn State next weekend and take on Michigan State (4-2-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday in East Lansing, Mich.\n"Conference games get tougher and tougher," Yeagley said. "I mean, we used to beat Northwestern with no problem. (Now it's) 1-0 in the closing minutes. We've had overtime games at Michigan State. It's been very difficult -- Michigan State. They're tough to beat at home. I look for the Big Ten competition to be tight this year."\nBehind Penn State, IU is the highest nationally ranked Big Ten team. While IU currently ranks near the bottom of the conference in goalkeeping and scoring, Michigan State coach Joe Baum said he doesn't discount the Hoosiers.\n"At Indiana, I think they don't rebuild," Baum said. "They reload. They're still resorting their lineup. Once they get a lineup they like, they'll be a true contender for the Big Ten championship."\nBaum said one of his biggest concerns is the tandem of IU junior midfielder Ryan Mack and sophomore midfielder Pat Noonan. They have either scored or assisted on all of IU's nine goals this season. Noonan is tied with Dominic DaPra of Wisconsin for second in the Big Ten for goal-scoring with two goals. Mack is tied with DaPra for most assists in the conference with four.\nAlong with Mack, senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig is IU's other National Player of the Year candidate.\n"T.J. Hannig is an outstanding goalie," Baum said. "We have to get inside, penetrate with our offense. We need to create more inside chances. We won't beat him from the outside and with cross shots. We have to play an outstanding defensive game. We can't just focus on Ryan Mack and Pat Noonan because someone else can have their day."\nWhile IU can boast eight players who played on last year's national championship team, Yeagley said his team can't just slide through the Big Ten. Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State (4-1-1) have more veteran players than the other teams, and IU plays these three on the road. \nThe Nittany Lions lost to IU 3-0 in last year's Final Four, but return National Player of the Year candidate Ricardo Villar, a senior midfielder. Soccer America ranks the Nittany Lions (6-0) fourth in the nation.\n"I've seen Penn State play at a tournament last weekend," said Ohio State coach John Bluem, whose Buckeyes placed second in the Big Ten last season. "Maybe they can unseat Indiana this year … If I was a betting man, I'd bet on IU and Penn State. Ohio State is getting closer. Michigan State is off to a good start, as is Wisconsin. Maybe we'll all get closer to Indiana."\nWisconsin has a record of 4-1. Even Northwestern, which often plays with all its players in the defensive third against IU and hasn't won a game this season, is a threat.\n"There were times when we could play our reserves against Northwestern," Yeagley said. "We can't do that anymore."\nMichigan (4-3-1) is the newest team in the Big Ten. Bluem, whose program achieved varsity status three years ago, said Michigan has the funding, facilities and talented players to be successful soon. The Wolverines' roster is made up of national championship club players and quality recruits.\nYeagley is quick to point out the other Big Ten team's strong points, but Baum and Bluem both said IU won't crumble this season. The Hoosiers have lost three of their eight games, but the defeats were all to top-11 teams, Bluem pointed out.\n"I still think Indiana is considered to be one of the favorites to win the conference," he said. "I think everyone's looking at Indiana and their record and thinking it's a down year for them. But they've played a very difficult schedule. That schedule will prepare them for a run at another (Big Ten) championship"