Injury puts Michigan's title hopes on hold

Navarre has stellar game subbing for Henson

Earlier this summer, New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner told Drew Henson he would make the young phenom a Yankee for life if he would quit playing football.\nMany would not be able to refuse the offer to play with baseball's most historic team, but Henson could not let his dream of leading the University of Michigan to a national championship die.\nAfter waiting two years in the wings of a now-graduated Tom Brady, quarterback Henson was given the Wolverines' starting job before the season began. Before the season, expectations were set high for the junior, who many have been waiting to take Michigan to another national championship.\nHenson's and Michigan's dream were put on hold last week, when Henson injured his foot in practice and had to have surgery. Head coach Lloyd Carr said Henson is expected to be out for three to six weeks. Redshirt freshman John Navarre will take Henson's place.\nIn his first college game Saturday, Navarre tied a school record with four touchdown passes as Michigan defeated Bowling Green, 42-7.\nDespite Navarre's early success, Michigan will need the rest of the team to step up for the Wolverines, to be in position to win the national championship when Henson returns.\nSenior running back Anthony Thomas, who ran for 108 yards Saturday, will carry a lot of the offensive load for the Wolverines. Last year, he rushed for 1,297 yards and 17 touchdowns and decided to bypass the NFL for his senior season.\nThomas will have a talented and experienced offensive line to run behind. Seniors Steve Hutchinson, Jeff Backus, David Brandt and Maurice Williams will head up the line.\nWide receiver David Terrell caught the nation's attention with career bests of 10 receptions, 150 yards and three touchdowns in the 35-34 victory against Alabama last year in the Orange Bowl. The 6-foot-3 junior will be among the Heisman Trophy candidates for the season.\n"If he maintains his current attitude, I think he could develop into the greatest receiver we've ever had at Michigan," Carr said. "That's how much talent he has and he has a big year in front of him."\nDefenses are expected, as in the Orange Bowl, to put double coverage on Terrell, but junior wideout Marquise Walker, who had six catches in the game, is also talented and could make defenses pay for concentrating on Terrell. Senior tight end Shawn Thompson should be another option for Michigan's quarterbacks.\n"The receiving corps is coming along great. If I get doubled, we have a lot of other weapons," Terrell said.\nEven without Henson, the offense has a lot of skill that will be responsible for compensating a defense that only has five returning starters. \n"When you lose as many players on defense as we did, especially players that have been team leaders, then you are faced with a major rebuilding issue," Carr said.\nWith time, Carr expects his defense to be tough.\nThe linebacker position should be one of Michigan's strengths. Sophomore Victor Hobson returns at outside linebacker and juniors Larry Foote and Eric Brackins both have some experience.\nThe defensive line will have a number of question marks with senior tackle Eric Wilson as the only returning starter. Redshirt freshmen Grant Bowman and sophomore Dan Rumishek will try to fill some of the holes on the line.\nThe secondary will consist of senior James Whitley and junior Todd Howard at cornerback and sophomores Brandon Williams and Jeremy LeSueur at the safety spot.\nReturning as punter and kicker will be junior Hayden Epstein, who tied the school record with a 56-yard field goal last season and in his career has had 63 touchbacks on kickoffs and has averaged 40.1 yards on his punts.\nPotentially, we could be one of the best teams in the country, but we have to go out and prove ourselves," Hutchinson said. "We can't just show up on Saturdays and expect to win. We have to play up to our potential week in and week out"