Spinach to the rescue for health and convenience

There is nothing that puts a crimp in a healthful eating regime like the start of a new semester.\nThe best of intentions are easily squelched by the need for expediency. Likewise, the ability to concentrate on the benefits of bran evaporates as the nightly reading list bulges beyond 200 pages.\nBut there are glimmers of hope, and one comes in resealable plastic bags in the produce aisle. It is pre-washed, pre-trimmed spinach, and it is one of the best-kept fast-food secrets in the supermarket. \nIf convenience is the key to maintaining a nutritious eating regimen, then spinach is the solution behind door number three. It is available in ready-packed bags year-round and will keep in your refrigerator for up to a week. Select bags with plump, dark green leaves with no signs of wilting, brittleness, yellowing edges or slimness.\nPopeye was right when he reached for his spinach. It is rich in the antioxidant beta-carotene, and is a good source of vegetable calcium and vitamin C. It is low calorie, too, weighing in at just 40 calories per packed cup. And while I would advise against Popeye's canned spinach preference, frozen spinach (either full-leaf or chopped) is a fine and frugal option.\nIf you are particularly harried, it is perfectly acceptable to grab a handful of spinach leaves out of the bag, sprinkle them with dressing and eat them without further adornment. People who want to avoid making meals from scratch can add a handful of health by stirring in torn spinach leaves to prepared soups; it adds only a minute of wilting time to the preparation, but delivers a bolt of fresh flavor. \nI like to saute a handful of leaves in a dab of olive oil, then scramble in a couple of eggs and a pinch of dill. This is one of my weeknight staples and takes three to four minutes to prepare.\nIf you eat a lot of pasta, you might want to expend 30 seconds of your time to enrich its healthfulness with spinach. During the final 30 seconds of pasta cooking time, add one or more handfuls of torn spinach leaves to the cooking water. Drain the pasta, and then toss with enough pasta sauce of your choice to coat. \nFor these still-warm evenings, I suggest combining the drained pasta and spinach with the juice and grated zest of one lemon. If you have fresh or dried basil leaves, add enough to suit your taste. Generously season the concoction with salt and pepper to taste, and finish with a smattering of Parmesan or goat cheese. Call it Pasta Florentine ("with spinach") to impress yourself and others.\nThere are few people on this campus or elsewhere who do not enjoy a good casserole. My spinach-rice option is comforting on the best of days, consoling on the worst. It goes well with many things but is equally satisfying on its own. The same can be said for the spinach-strawberry salad, except it is more of a final celebration of summer\'s offerings than a soothing dish. Both are chock-full of enough spinach to keep you strong to the finish of the day's end, if not the semester.\nSPINACH-STRAWBERRY SUMMER'S END SALAD\n1 10-ounce package cleaned, washed baby spinach leaves\n1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries\n1 small red onion, cut into very thin slices, separated into rings\n1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves\n2/3 cup roasted, salted, coarsely chopped cashews (optional)\nPlace spinach, strawberries, onion and cilantro in medium bowl; toss to combine. Drizzle salad with cumin dressing; gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with cashews.\nCUMIN DRESSING\nIn a covered container, combine 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoon vinegars, 3 tablespoons salad oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon sugar; cover and shake vigorously to combine.\nPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter or spray with non-stick spray a 2-quart casserole dish. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderately low heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture in casserole. Set casserole in a large pan or dish; fill the large pan with enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the casserole dish. Place in oven and bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until set.\nSPINACH & RICE COMFORT CASSEROLE\n2 tablespoons butter or margarine\n3 cups cooked white or brown rice\n4 large eggs, lightly beaten\n1 cup milk\n1 12-ounce package Italian-blend shredded cheese (other cheese, including cheddar, Swiss or reduced fat may be used)\n1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained\n1/2 cup finely chopped onion\n4 large cloves garlic, minced\n1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning\n1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)