Hoosiers' preseason begins with 4-0 win

Men's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley predicted a tough match Saturday between his Hoosiers and IU-Purdue University at Fort Wayne.\nThe match indeed was a tough one.\nFor IPFW.\nThe Hoosiers scored four first-half goals and coasted to a 4-0 victory Saturday in their first game of the 2000 IPFW Soccer Showcase.\nSophomore Pat Noonan and junior Ryan Mack dominated the midfield for the Hoosiers and gave the team a 2-0 lead 17 minutes into the game.\nNoonan opened the scoring 10 minutes in, when he collected a pass from junior midfielder Bobby de St. Aubin and fired a shot from 30 yards out.\nMack doubled the lead seven minutes later, receiving a ball from senior defender Justin Tauber and beating IPFW goalkeeper Jeff Richey from 10 yards out.\n"I thought we came out pretty strong," Mack said. "I was pretty surprised we scored right away. I think after Noonan scored, we realized we were playing together (well). Noonan's goal just opened doors for more goals. We got more confidence after we scored so early."\nThat confidence led to domination.\nMack created another scoring opportunity with eight minutes remaining in the first half, when two IPFW defenders got tangled up, allowing Mack to go unscathed into the penalty box. Mack beat Richey, who took Mack out while trying to get the ball.\n Freshman midfielder Sasha Barber converted the ensuing penalty kick, giving the Hoosiers a 3-0 lead, and sophomore midfielder Michael Bock scored the final goal with 23 seconds remaining in the first half.\n IPFW coach Terry Stefankiewicz used the half time to tell his players two things: Play hard. Don't worry about the fact that they're playing the defending Division I national champs.\n"I told the kids it was like deer looking into the headlights the first half," Stefankiewicz said. "We played timid. We didn't play hard. That's what we talked about at half time, and I think we played much better the second half."\nThe 'Dons did play better defensively in the second half, which lasted only 26 minutes because of lightning.\nThey did not, however, generate anything offensively.\nIPFW had only one solid shot in the game, and that shot was saved by a diving Colin Rogers, a senior, who replaced starting senior goalkeeper T.J. Hannig 22 minutes into the second half.\nThe 'Dons did get the ball into IU's defensive third on several other occasions, but none of those opportunities resulted in shots on goal, which meant IU's inexperienced defense didn't get tested much.\nWhile Yeagley didn't get to evaluate his defense, he did get a chance to see his freshmen players perform in a game situation. He liked what he saw.\n"I thought Lucas (Christian) had a quiet game for his first game," Yeagley said. "He got a little tired, maybe a little nervous. He did some good things, but he's capable of giving us a lot more. I liked what I saw from Vijay (Dias). He came in, made some things happen, got involved and didn't just stand as a supporting player. I also felt that Sasha came in, did a nice job in the midfield, took the (penalty kick) and scored it, which is good to see. So I was pleased.\n"But I don't want to get a false sense of security with this team, because (IPFW) is a Division II team. They're a good team, but their talent level isn't what we're going to see in a lot of matches"