IU football adds Kane Wommack as 10th assistant coach

A rainbow stretches over Memorial Stadium after heavy rain during the game against Charleston Southern on Oct. 7, 2017. IU opens the season at home Saturday night against Virginia. 

Kane Wommack was announced as IU's 10th assistant coach and new linebackers coach Monday per an IU athletics release.

Wommack spent the past two seasons as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at the University of South Alabama. 

"Kane is one of the bright, young coaches in our profession," IU Coach Tom Allen said in an IU athletics release. "I have a strong relationship with his family, but more importantly, he is an excellent football coach. Kane is the kind of person that I want in our program mentoring our young men and that will represent Indiana University in an excellent way."

Wommack will take over as IU linebackers coach from William Inge, who spent five seasons as IU's linebackers coach and will be moved to special teams coordinator. 

"Special teams play is a huge priority in our program," Allen said. "We needed someone to take ownership of all of our special teams units and Coach Inge is the man for the job. It's a great opportunity for him to become a coordinator and oversee an area that I believe changes the game."

This is the first season in which NCAA teams are permitted a 10th assistant coach.

Wommack will be working with Allen for the second time in his career, as Wommack was a graduate assistant at Ole Miss during the 2012-13 season. Allen was the linebackers coach at Ole Miss that season, while Dave, Kane's father, was the defensive coordinator for Ole Miss until his retirement in 2016. 

"Tom Allen has been an awesome mentor," Wommack said. "We have risen through the ranks together as defensive coordinators and I am thrilled to be reunited with him once again. I am ready to get started and excited to be a Hoosier."

Prior to his time at South Alabama, Wommack was the defensive coordinator at Eastern Illinois during the 2014-15 season. He also coached the defensive line at Jacksonville State in 2011 and was the quarterbacks coach at Tennessee-Martin in 2010. 

Wommack also has familiarity coaching the husky position, a hybrid linebacker-safety position that IU uses. He coached that position at Ole Miss.

Wommack's playing career featured stops as a fullback at Arkansas under coach Houston Nutt and as a tight end at Southern Mississippi. 

Cameron Drummond