School spirit wear doesn't have to be boring

schoolspirit15.jpg

Game day rolls around, and it’s time to get ready to represent your favorite school. You grab sneakers that have the dirt stains to show your dedication to the day, throw on your candy-striped overalls and you’re ready to tailgate.

While I love this classic look as much as the next Hoosier, throwing something on that represents your own personal style is even better. Step up your IU pride and wear something extraordinary and different than the rest. This homecoming, try something different with these four spirit wear ideas.

Accessorize your hair

Sometimes wearing four different articles of clothing with IU emblazoned on the fabric can be a little overwhelming. If you are someone who likes to subtly show your school pride, try spicing up your hairdo instead. A cream and crimson headband, bow, ribbon or scrunchie can be found at almost any store on Kirkwood Avenue. 

Dress it up

Dressing up for games needs to become more of a tradition. I love putting on a bright red skirt with a dressy white top for games, because whenever you wear the IU logo and colors you are representing our school. Dressing up can show passion and pride for our colors.

In the fall, pair a crimson dress with a jean jacket and some booties and you’ll rock the stadium. When Thanksgiving rolls around and it starts to snow, wear a large sweater dress paired with leggings and boots and you’ll be cozy and cute at the same time.

Shoes

Whether you choose a shiny pair of boots or dirty canvas kicks, you can support your school through footwear as well. 

Converse sneakers and boots are perfect for tailgating and football games because they are rugged and easy to clean. Boots are made for the rain and cold, and muddy Converse can be thrown straight into the wash and be as good as new.

Converse are offered in a rainbow of different colors, are customizable and also have a pair with IU’s logo already on it. A fun pair of red boots would make a loud and proud statement, but if you have neutral colored ones there are still ways to have them represent IU. 

Make them school-themed by threading a cream and crimson striped ribbon through the laces, wrapping the shoes in ribbons, or wearing a pair of knee-high IU socks.

Make your own spirit wear

Stop by a craft store and grab some supplies because making your spirit wear is easier than you might think. By creating your own clothing, you have total creative control and a guarantee that no one else will be wearing the same outfit as you. 

Buy some cheap, plain T-shirts and dye, cut, bleach and draw your way to your own perfect homecoming gear.