sports   |  men's soccer

Men’s soccer beats Penn State for third Big Ten win

iums10

Redshirt junior midfielder Cory Thomas is hit in the face as he drives to the goal against San Francisco at Bill Armstrong Stadium on Sept. 1. Thomas provided the winning assist for IU on Saturday night in a 1-0 conference win at Penn State. Bobby Goddin Buy Photos

The Hoosiers traveled to University Park, Pennsylvania, for their game against Penn State, in a must-win situation to keep pace with the top conference teams and climb in the Big Ten standings. 

Freshman attacker Spencer Glass opened the scoring for the Hoosiers after junior attacker Cory Thomas found some space on the right side of the pitch near the 16-yard box. Thomas sent in a cross, which found Glass near the back post, who finished the play from seven yards out.

That would be the only goal IU would need, leaving University Park with three points and a 1-0 victory. It was the sixth-consecutive game that the Hoosiers have recorded a clean sheet in, tying a program record.

IU has now gone 599 minutes of soccer without allowing a goal.

IU will enter next week on a six-game winning streak and will play No. 20 Kentucky on Wednesday night in Bloomington. The Hoosiers will look to beat a ranked opponent for the second time this season in that match as well.

Michael Ramirez

More in Men's Soccer