Keep your space organized

Organization.JPG

When​ ​I​ ​was​ ​7,​ ​I​ ​slept​ ​in​ ​the​ ​guest​ ​room​ ​when​ever mine was​ ​too​ ​messy.​ ​I​ ​would shut​ ​the​ ​door​ ​to​ ​avoid looking at ​the​ ​catastrophe​ ​of​ ​stuffed​ ​animals​ ​and​ ​Polly​ ​Pockets​ ​thrown​ ​everywhere. 

I​ ​hated​ my parents' daily reminders for me ​to clean my room, but​ ​now​ ​I​ ​appreciate​ ​their discipline​ ​and​ ​understand​ ​why​ ​they​ ​wanted​ ​my​ ​space​ to stay ​put​ ​together.​ ​The​ ​first​ ​thing​ ​I​ ​do​ ​in​ ​the morning​ ​is​ ​make​ ​my​ ​bed, and the​ ​first​ ​thing​ ​I​ ​do​ ​when​ ​I​ ​get​ ​home​ ​from​ ​classes​ ​is​ ​clean​ ​my​ ​room. 

Keeping​ ​my​ ​room​ ​organized​ ​helps​ ​me feel like my life is more​ ​together​ ​during​ ​my busy college career, so that my ​home​ ​is​ ​a ​place​ ​to ​feel​ ​relaxed,​ ​calm​ ​and​ ​motivated. Below are ​three​ tips that I use ​to​ ​keep​ ​my ​room​ ​organized​: 

Organization.JPG
Maddie Lucia

When decorating, less is more.

I ​love​ ​adding personal​ ​details​ ​and​ ​items​ ​that​ ​describe​ ​who​ ​I​ ​am​ into my decorating because it makes my room feel like ​an​ ​extension​ ​of​ ​me. 

However,​ ​I​ ​do​n't​ ​overload​ ​my room​ ​with​ ​trinkets​ ​and​ ​posters because​ ​it​ ​can​ ​feel​ ​claustrophobic.​ ​I​ ​recommend keeping your ​room​ ​clean​ ​and organized so it remains ​a​ ​place​ ​of​ ​serenity​ ​in​ ​a​ ​world​ ​that​ ​is​ ​constantly​ ​changing.​ ​It​ ​will​ ​always​ ​feel like​ ​home. 

I​ ​have​ ​a​ ​framed​ ​poster of​ ​photos​ ​of​ ​my​ ​friends​ ​and​ ​family,​ a​ ​few​ ​canvases​ ​hung​ ​up​ ​to​ ​remind​ ​me of​ ​ideas​ ​I​ ​treasure​ ​and​ ​one​ ​hanging tapestry​ ​to​ ​add​ ​texture​ ​to​ ​my​ ​bedroom.  

Wall​ ​art​ ​is​ ​like​ ​accessories for an outfit — too​ ​many​ ​can​ ​be​ ​gaudy,​ ​but​ ​too few ​feels like you're missing something.​ ​Spruce​ ​your​ ​walls​, but keep it simple. 

Organization.JPG
Maddie Lucia

A clean desk means a productive you.

Always​ ​keep​ ​your​ ​desk​ ​free, with only essentials​ ​on​ ​top​ and​ ​the​ ​rest in​ ​drawers​ ​or​ ​boxes.​ When ​my​ ​desk​ ​is​ ​cluttered​ ​with​ ​food,​ ​papers and water​ ​bottles, ​I​ ​feel​ ​overwhelmed​ ​and​ ​forget about ​my​ ​to-do​ ​list, but when​ ​I​ ​see​ ​a​ ​clean ​workspace,​ ​I​ ​have​ ​more​ motivation to get tasks done.

Use containers to stash your stuff.

While​ ​some​ ​people​ ​might​ ​thrive​ ​with a ​minimalist lifestyle,​ ​I​ ​have​ ​not​ ​yet succeeded in giving up my possessions, and every​ ​year​ ​I bring​ ​them all ​to​ ​college​ ​with​ ​me.  

Most​ ​people​ ​have​ very ​little​ ​storage space in college.​ ​The​ ​biggest help​ that ​I​ ​have​ ​found ​is using ​clear​ ​tubs​ ​under​ ​the​ ​bed.​ ​I​ ​can​ ​fit​ ​at​ ​least​ ​eight​ ​boxes of​ ​clothes,​ ​bathroom​ ​necessities​ ​and​ ​coats​ ​underneath, which ​saves space and lets me quickly​ find​ things​ ​when​ ​I​ ​am​ ​in​ ​a​ ​rush. 

Organizer tubs​ ​are also great for moving —​ ​whether​ ​to​ ​a​ ​new apartment​ ​or​ ​just​ ​back​ ​home​ ​for​ ​ ​break,​ ​they​ ​are​ ​ready​ ​to pack ​in​ ​your​ ​car​ ​in​​ ​moments.