IU football eager to end Homecoming losing streak

Sophomore quarterback Peyton Ramsey throws the ball towards the goal line during the first quarter of the game against Charleston Southern on Oct. 7. IU will look to win its first Big Ten game this Saturday at Maryland.

The annual Homecoming game hasn't been kind to IU in recent years. 

For the past seven seasons, including 2017, the Hoosiers had to face a Big Ten Conference opponent on Homecoming. Those last six Homecoming games against conference foes have all been losses for IU.

The losses have come in all shapes and forms. Blowout defeats like a 56-17 beating by Michigan State in 2014 have come alongside closer losses, like a heartbreaking 55-52 defeat to Rutgers in 2015.

Last year's Homecoming game saw the Hoosiers play competitively against then-No. 10 Nebraska, before ultimately losing 27-22.

"We're close to playing good football," then-IU Coach Kevin Wilson said after the loss. "We're competing, but we're not playing good football yet."

A lot has changed since last year's Homecoming game. 

Changes have come at both head coach, with Wilson replaced by Tom Allen, and at quarterback, as freshman Peyton Ramsey took over the starting job from Richard Lagow just a week ago.

Ramsey was able to ease into his new role with a three-touchdown performance this past Saturday in a 27-0 win against FCS opponent Georgia Southern. 

"I felt like I did good," Ramsey said. "It was a huge confidence boost to go out and get a win."

But No. 17 Michigan will pose a much more difficult challenge for Ramsey and his IU teammates. The Wolverines, fresh off a 14-10 home loss to rival Michigan State, will be eager to impress after falling 10 spots in the newest Associated Press Poll.

The occasion will also mark Ramsey's first start against a conference team.

"Big Ten play is not easy, so I think it was good to play a team like Charleston Southern," Ramsey said. "It was good to try some things and get a game under my belt."

Saturday's meeting between the Hoosiers and Wolverines carries a litany of historical implications, as well.  

Michigan owns a 56-9 all-time record against IU. 

It's been 30 years since IU beat Michigan, and the Hoosiers have lost 21 straight games in the series.

Then there's IU's recent run of form on Homecoming at Memorial Stadium, where IU last won a conference Homecoming game in 2009.

Michigan's visit allows IU to change the narrative around these issues.

Last week's win over Charleston Southern wasn't anything special for IU, but it may have helped plant the seeds for a big performance against Michigan.

Furthermore, Saturday is an opportunity for Allen and Ramsey to begin their tenures at IU with a signature win, something IU hasn't had in a long time. 

"Always want to take every win and enjoy it and realize that it takes a lot of work to get those," Allen said. "It was a team we were supposed to beat, and we did, and so we just realize what we have and watch the film tomorrow and get ready for the Wolverines."