crime & courts

Bloomington Blotter: Police investigate night crawlers, stolen BMW

blotter filler

The IDS compiles notable weekly crime reports. Here are a few incidents:

Burglary, stolen vehicle

Police arrested two men and one juvenile at 2 a.m. Friday morning for their connection to a burglary and vehicle theft at a home on the 300 block of South Grant Street.

One of the residents told police his house had been broken into and his black 2008 BMW had been stolen, along with the keys to the car he had left in his bedroom, he said.

Police identified 18-year-old Jesse Vanderburg as a suspect using the house's security footage. Officers went to Vanderburg’s home on the 900 block of North Lindbergh Drive and arrested him on preliminary charges of burglary and auto theft.

Police identified a car matching the description of the one stolen near the intersection between 11th and Alexander streets. Officers saw three people running from the vehicle as they arrived.

Officers caught up to 21-year-old Jared Herron in a parking lot nearby and arrested him on preliminary charges of burglary and auto theft as well.

Police found another suspect running from the car to the intersection between 12th and Summit streets. The 16-year-old suspect was referred to juvenile detention.

Officers are still looking for another juvenile connected to the case. The investigation is ongoing.

Shoplifting

Police responded to reports of shoplifting at 7 p.m. Friday after employees at Rural King, a farm supplies and hunting gear store, told them a man and a woman were crawling on the floor of the store.

Employees told police the only item they noticed missing was a pocket knife.

The two suspects reportedly fled the scene before police arrived. Rural King employees told police they suspected the two were under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Christine Fernando