National Pan-Hellenic Council organizes annual Meet the Greeks event

caNPHC06.jpg

The National Pan-Hellenic Council turned a section of Dunn Meadow into its own carnival this weekend with its annual Meet the Greeks event. 

Instead of hosting this event in the Whittenberger Auditorium and making it a business professional event for strictly students like in past years, NPHC decided to turn this event into a carnival filled with games, music, dancing, food and inflatables. It was not only for interested students, but also for their families, as it took place during IU family weekend. 

According to the Parents’ Association page on the Division of Student Affairs website, this event was planned so prospective students could learn about different chapters while chapter alumni connected with their former organizations.

Senior Diamond Turner of Alpha Kappa Alpha said this event is for students to learn about the chapters and for chapters to see who is interested in their organization. She said she remembers being a freshman and feeling afraid and intimidated by greek life, but she is trying to make other students feel differently.

“This event is so important, especially for students looking to join an NPHC because there’s those stereotypes that students can’t approach someone from greek life because of all these reasons,” Turner said. “People put us on a pedestal because we’re official and have letters, but we are humans just like you. We want to learn about you, what you like to do and your interests other than that you want to be in a greek organization, so we can help you find the place that fits you best.”

This event was one of the first events that NPHC offered to help interested students learn about the different chapters.

The process of becoming a member of a NPHC is a more private process than the Interfraternity Council or the IU Panhellenic Association, and it requires anyone interested to reach out to these organizations individually.

“Our process is very different from IFC or PHA,” Turner said. “We don’t have a rushing process, and if someone is looking to get involved, then they should be at events like Meet the Greeks and trying to meet people.”

Interested students should reach out to these chapters as soon as possible, but there are no certain dates that they need to reach out by, unlike with IFC and PHA. 

Every NPHC chapter has a different recruitment schedule based on the chapter’s national headquarters, and they change each year based on how many students might join the chapter.

“The way to get involved is to come to chapters' events, follow us on social media, get on email lists and really come show your face, so you can get to know us and we can get to know you,” Turner said .