Men's golf finishes second tournament in 14th

Sports Filler

IU men’s golf saved its best round for last at this weekend’s Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational and carded a total team score of 889 (+49) for the tournament to finish 14th out of 15 teams.

The Hoosiers shot a 293 (+13) on the final day of the invitational, thanks to three different golfers who finished three over par for the day. Sophomore Evan Gaesser, junior Jake Brown and senior Brendon Doyle all shot a 73 Sunday.

Senior Brock Oschenreiter delivered IU’s best individual performance of the weekend, as he finished in a tie for 30th place with a three-round score of 218 (+8). It was Oschenreiter’s fifth career top-30 individual finish at a tournament.

Brown, the only other Hoosier with a top-50 individual finish, carded a score of 221 (+11) over three days to come in at a tie for 48th place. He also had the best single round score of any IU golfer, with a 71 (+1) on the first day of the tournament.

IU was one of three Big Ten teams participating in the invitational, which was won by Texas A&M. Host school Illinois finished in fifth place with a three-round score of 853 (+13), while Northwestern topped IU with a score of 875 (+35) to finish in 13th place.

The Hoosiers will travel to Evanston, Illinois, for the Windon Memorial on Oct. 8 and 9 for their next tournament.

Jake Thomer