COLUMN: Kinsey Confidential answers question about irregular periods

Kinsey Confidential Filler

Hi, I get my period every six months, but when I have sex with my partner, I get very horny, and I'm very wet when we do. I don't know if that's normal.

It’s very common to feel sexually aroused, or horny, when kissing or engaging in sexual activity with one’s romantic or sexual partner. It’s also common for females to become very wet when sexually aroused, which happens because of a natural process of vaginal lubrication. 

What’s not common is to have a menstrual period once every six months. If you are on a type of birth control that intentionally spaces your periods so that you have a menstrual period just twice a year or that otherwise leads to less frequent menstrual bleeding, then that’s not necessarily a problem. Some types of birth control work that way, and it’s fine for women to bleed less often.

On the other hand, if you’re not taking birth control that’s meant to do that, then you might want to mention to your health care provider that you only have a period about every six months. Less frequent menstrual periods are sometimes associated with some health conditions and hormonal changes.

How often or how rarely someone gets their period can also be influenced by nutrition, exercise, weight gain, weight loss and stress. Telling your doctor or nurse about your menstrual periods — how often they come, how heavy or light your bleeding is, and whether you experience side effects such as headaches, cramps, bloating or mood changes — can help your him or her provide better medical care for you. 

To learn more about your reproductive health and menstrual cycles, check out a book like "Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era." You can also learn more about menstrual cycles and periods on the Planned Parenthood website. 

Kinsey Confidential is part of a joint partnership between the IU School of Public Health-Bloomington (IU SPH) and the Kinsey Institute. The column is written by Dr. Debby Herbenick, a professor in the IU SPH. Read past Q&A or submit your own question at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow us on Twitter @KinseyCon