crime & courts

Rape reported Saturday night at 16th and Dunn

Region Filler

During the weekend, Bloomington Police Department received reports of two rapes.

The first involved a 21-year-old woman who was visiting Bloomington during Little 500 weekend and reported she’d been raped Saturday night near campus while walking from a party to an apartment.

Police responded at about 9:25 p.m. to the intersection of East 17th Street and North Dunn Street, where they met the woman, who told them she’d been assaulted in the area, BPD Lt. John Kovach said.

The woman told police she’d been at a party with her boyfriend and brother and had become separated from them. She was walking north from the party to an apartment when she saw a silver SUV, possibly a Toyota, pull up near her.

Police believe the incident happened somewhere in the area of East 16th Street and Dunn, Kovach said. A man — who the victim described as Middle Eastern with black hair, a skinny frame and a gray T-shirt — got out of the car, she told police.

He grabbed her, pushed her to the ground and raped her.

He fled and the woman called police. She said the rape may have happened in the yard of a residence, but she didn’t know the exact location.

She was taken to Bloomington Hospital for a sexual assault 
examination.

The case is still active.

The second involved a woman who reported Sunday that she had been raped early that morning outside a residence on the near south side of town.

Police obtained the report while collecting a sexual assault evidence kit Sunday afternoon from Bloomington Hospital, BPD Lt. John Kovach said.

The woman had been brought to the hospital that day by family 
members.

She did not want to speak to police immediately, so a nurse relayed information to police, Kovach said.

The rape occurred at about 2 a.m., the victim told the nurse.

She had been looking for a friend outside a residence when an unknown man, who she described as dark-skinned and about 6-feet-tall, 
assaulted her.

The case is still active, and police plan to follow up with the victim, 
Kovach said.