crime & courts

Man arrested after pulling gun near campus

Region Filler

Police arrested a 20-year-old man early Saturday morning after a dispute outside his residence, located a few blocks east of campus, allegedly led to him pointing a gun at another person’s head.

Michael Koh is charged with felonies for intimidation, criminal recklessness and pointing a firearm at another person, as well as a misdemeanor for underage consumption of alcohol. Koh does not appear to be an IU student, according to the IU Address Book.

Police were called at about 1 a.m. to a house on the 200 block of South Hillsdale Drive, where a caller said a resident had pointed a handgun at people standing in front of his house and told them to get off his property, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Pam Gladish said.

Upon arrival, an officer saw a group of young men in the street yelling at a group of people in the front yard. As the officer 
approached, he noticed one of the men in the yard had a handgun visibly tucked into the waistband of his cargo shorts. While the officer watched, the man pulled the gun from his waistband and held it at his side.

The group in the front yard went inside the house, and the officer followed and was allowed in. The officer interviewed the man with the gun, who was identified as Koh. Koh, who was visibly intoxicated, told police he’d gotten the gun for safety after the group on the street 
started yelling at him and his girlfriend. He’d pointed the gun after one of the men on the street did the same, he said.

The group on the street told police they’d been gathered around a car when Koh left his house and immediately pointed his gun at them. When he held the gun to the head of one of the men on the street, another pulled out his gun, and someone called 911. All parties had valid gun permits, Gladish said.

Koh was arrested and taken to Monroe County 
Correctional Center.