3-star Ohio runing back becomes 23rd signee for Hoosiers

IU Coach Tom Allen (left) and new offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Mike DeBord (right) at a press conference Jan. 7. 

Ohio 3-star running back Morgan Ellison announced through a YouTube video that he has committed to IU and has signed his letter of intent for the class of 2017.

Ellison received interest from Big Ten, Big Twelve and SEC schools, such as Michigan State, Kentucky, West Virginia and Penn State. After committing to Ohio in November, Ellison decommitted Jan. 16 and received an IU offer two days later.

In 2016, Ellison showed strong interest in Ohio State, with an unofficial visit in March, two summer camps in Columbus and a coach visit from former Ohio State assistant coach Luke Fickell.

However, in 2017, Ellison has shown most interest in IU, with a coaching visit from IU running backs coach Deland McCullough on Jan. 19 and an official visit to Bloomington on Jan. 20.

In May 2016, cleveland.com called Ellison Ohio’s “best kept secret” and “most under-recruited player.” The 6-foot-1 running back suffered a compound fracture in his right leg the forced him to miss his sophomore and junior years of high school.

At the Midwest Open Regional sponsored by Nike in the summer of 2016, Ellison posted the best SPARQ rating — a measure of athleticism developed by Nike — of any of the best Midwest high school players. His 131.19 is comparable to former Alabama Heisman trophy winner Derrick Henry’s high school rating of 132.7.

The Pickerington Central High School graduate helped his team reach the semifinal of the Ohio State Division I playoff, where the running back recorded 77- and 60-yard touchdowns against eventual 2017 State Champion St. Xavier.

Ellison also participated in the Offense-Defense All-American game in December, a game that has featured NFL stars Golden Tate, Cam Newton, Earl Thomas and others in the past.

Ellison became the 23rd IU signee for the class of 2017.