Trans-activist and gender theorist comes to IU

Campus Filler

Longtime trans activist and author Kate Bornstein will be speaking at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Whittenberger Auditorium on a number of different topics, such as identity, sexuality and gender.

Bornstein has been exploring issues of gender for many years. According to the official Facebook event page, Bornstein recently made an appearance on an episode of “I Am Cait,” a reality show following Caitlyn Jenner.

Bornstein does not identify strictly as a woman or a man. In other words, she is gender non-conforming and she/her pronouns are 
acceptable.

In addition to her activism, performance art and TV appearance Bornstein is the author of several books. In 1994, she published “Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and the Rest of Us,” a book about gender theory and Bornstein’s own experiences. In 2012 Bornstein released a memoir titled “A Queer and Pleasant Danger: A Memoir,” another book featuring her experiences as a transgender person.

Gender isn’t the only identity Bornstein has explored intimately and personally. Danielle Hernandez, an IU graduate assistant at the LGBTQ+ Culture Center, said Bornstein also speaks to the intersectionality a person can have with multiple religious identities. She said Borstein is Jewish but also practiced Scientology for a while before leaving the church.

Bornstein will also remain after the lecture to answer questions.