Tegray Scales to stay with Hoosiers for senior season

Sophomore linebacker Tegray Scales anticipates the next play during IU's game against Purdue on Nov. 29, 2014, at Memorial Stadium.

Junior linebacker Tegray Scales announced via an IU Athletics video that he will be staying in Bloomington for his senior year.

“Hoosier Nation, just would like to say I’ll be staying for my senior year,” Scales said in the video. “I’m excited to be playing for him for one more year and excited to be part of this team.”

Scales was a 2016 Sports Illustrated second-team All-American and a second-team All-Big Ten selection.

The junior led the Hoosiers in tackles with 126, sacks with 7 and tackles for loss with 23.5. His 23.5 tackles for loss also led the nation. Scales also returned an interception for a touchdown against Florida International in the 2016 season opener.

“Having Tegray back with us is huge,” IU Coach Tom Allen said in a separate video. “He was a catalyst for our defense, not only on the field with his production but really in the very beginning when I first got here and challenged our team to make changes in their mentality and the way that they prepared. He’s bought in from day one.”

Barring injury, 2017 will be the fourth season in which Scales will see substantial playing time. The linebacker played in all 12 games in addition to the Foster Farms Bowl this season as well as his freshman season.

Scales’ announcement comes just days after juniors Devine Redding and Marcus Oliver announced their intentions to forego their senior seasons for the NFL Draft.