sports volleyball

McDonald, Leish take Big Ten volleyball honors

Jazzmine McDonald (left) and Victoria Brisack defend the ball as they compete against Rutgers Scarlet Knight Friday night at the University Gym.

Two Hoosiers earned Big Ten volleyball recognition Tuesday, and for the first time since 2010, an IU volleyball player received an All-Big Ten honor.

Senior middle blocker Jazzmine McDonald made her final season her best yet. She recorded a .364 hitting percentage for the season and securing recognition by the conference as an All-Big Ten honorable mention.

McDonald’s .364 mark was good enough for the second-best hitting percentage for a single season in IU volleyball history and the fourth-best clip in the Big Ten during the regular season.

An accurate hitter throughout her college career, McDonald finished with a .294 career hitting percentage, second in school history behind current IU assistant coach Ashley Benson.

IU hit .239 as a team this season, its best percentage since 1995.

The middle blocker collected 93 blocks, including 10 in a double-double performance in which IU upset then-No. 13 Michigan, in 2016.

Those 10 were the third-most in an IU four-set match in school history.

The Hoosiers’ 21 blocks as a team against the Wolverines were the most they had had in any match since 2006 and were the seventh-most in school history.

Junior outside hitter Jessica Leish was selected as IU’s Big Ten sportsmanship honoree for her contributions as a team player by encouraging others and supporting her teammates.

Leish averaged 2.41 kills per set in her role this season to go along with a .246 hitting percentage.

McDonald’s and Leish’s contributions helped IU win its most matches in a single season since 2010 with 17.