IU selects new Superintendent of Public Safety

Campus filler image

IU has chosen a former Indianapolis police officer and city council member to serve as the new Superintendent of Public Safety and oversee campus safety and the IU Police Department across the IU system, according to an IU release.

Benjamin Hunter will leave his current position as executive director of public safety, community relations and government affairs at Butler University to start his IU position Jan. 2.

“Ben’s background is unique, with experience in both municipal and university public safety, local government and across a wide variety of university administration,” said Mark Bruhn, associate vice president for the Office of Public Safety and Institutional Assurance in the release. “Because of this, he understands well and can better traverse the sometimes complex landscape in order to advocate for our officers and address evolving public safety issues.”

Before serving two terms on the Indianapolis City-County Council from 2008-2015, Hunter worked as a police officer in Indianapolis. Prior to this, Hunter served as an officer for IUPD at IUPUI after graduating with a political science degree from IUPUI.

Hunter has an interest in community policing, according to the release, dating back to his time as an Indianapolis police officer. He worked as a community liaison for three different deputy police chiefs while in Indianapolis.

Now, Hunter looks forward to returning to the IU system, according to the release, and he believes a college campus provides an even greater opportunity for community-oriented policing.

“The Indiana University Police Department and its allied public safety functions are excellent, and I relish the opportunity to continue this good work,” Hunter said.

Nyssa Kruse