COLUMN: OG Anunoby, IU's Swiss Army knife

IUMBB

In the late 1880s, the Swiss Army decided to buy new pocket knives for its soldiers.

It was a multipurpose knife that came with a screwdriver, blade, reamer, can opener and grips made out of dark 
oak.

Eventually, in World War II, American soldiers dubbed it the Swiss Army knife because they botched the original Offiziersmesser name given to it the same way I do when I say Czechoslovakia.

In the 2016-17 basketball season, IU has discovered its own Swiss Army knife. His name is OG 
Anunoby.

In 26 minutes, the sophomore forward put up a career-high 21 points on 12 shots, including three made 3-pointers. His stat sheet also included eight rebounds, one block, one steal and one assist. What the box score doesn’t state, however, are his defensive deflections, ability to run the floor and all-around presence on every 
possession.

On one defensive stand in particular, Anunoby crowded the ball-handler and hit the basketball out of bounds. He was rewarded with a high-five and butt-slap from IU Coach Tom Crean, who said he was very impressed by No. 3 and his drive to improve.

“The most important thing for OG is to just continue to be on the path that he’s on,” Crean said. “Here’s a kid that a week ago was coming in at 7:30 in the morning on game day, shooting, doing the walk-through and then coming out early before the game.”

What is most striking about Anunoby’s game, other than his short shorts, is his ability to stretch the floor. The 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound big man’s frame would not lead you to believe he could also shoot consistently from 3-point range; however, this aspect of Anunoby’s game has become one of his calling cards.

IU prides itself on having five players on the floor that can play any position, and Anunoby is the archetypal player for this system.

With five games down, including the thumping of Mississippi Valley State on Sunday, Anunoby has taken 18 three-pointers. He took 29 in 34 games during last year’s campaign. This small addition to his game is a tremendous bonus to the already dangerous shooting squad.

Perhaps the best example of Anunoby’s importance is last Tuesday in IU’s disappointing loss to Fort Wayne. Anunoby was slowed down by illness and played only two minutes in the second half. With Anunoby, IU beat Kansas.

Without Anunoby, IU lost to Fort Wayne. This isn’t a direct correlation, but it does show how much he brings to every game and how the team fares in his absence.

During the MVSU game, IU was pleased to see one of its key contributors back on the floor.

“I think it was good to see him back out there,” junior guard Robert Johnson said. “He’s one of those guys that when he’s locked in, he makes the game easier for everybody.”

Thomas Bryant dominates the paint. James Blackmon Jr. works from behind the arc. OG Anunoby, the Hoosier Swiss Army knife, cuts through wherever he wants.

That’s just the way IU wants it.