IU offense plans to stick with rushing attack against Northwestern

Junior running back Devine Redding sprints towards an IU touchdown in the third quarter at Memorial Stadium. IU lost to Nebraska 27-22.

Since defeating Michigan State in Memorial Stadium, IU has not rushed for 
more than 100 yards in a game.

The skid has dropped the IU rushing attack from the top half of the conference to 11th, and IU’s 2.7 yards per carry is among the worst in the Big Ten.

However, when asked if facing a Big Ten-worst Northwestern passing defense would provide an opportunity for junior quarterback Richard Lagow to air it out more, senior receiver Mitchell Paige made the Hoosiers’ strategy clear.

“We’re gonna ride the run,” Paige said.

That’s what the Hoosiers have always done in the Kevin Wilson era, IU running backs coach Deland McCullough said. The plan isn’t changing.

Not after former Hoosier Tevin Coleman ran for more than 2,000 yards in the 2014 season. Not after former IU running back Jordan Howard nearly bulldozed several top-ranked teams in 2015.

Not after junior running back Devine Redding went five games before recording his first touchdown against Nebraska.

“Right now we’re working out a couple kinks and overcoming ourselves, really,” McCullough said. “I can’t really say it’s something the other team’s doing.”

Redding had a season-low 11 carries against Nebraska in the 27-22 loss last week. Junior running back Devonte Williams and sophomore running back Mike Majette combined for seven carries and 15 yards.

Junior quarterback Zander Diamont made his season debut and ran the ball eight times for 31 yards.

“Whatever it takes to win games,” IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns said. “Whoever it takes.”

However, IU didn’t win, and it only posted 88 rushing yards against a Nebraska rushing defense that was ranked 55th in the nation going into last week’s game. Now IU travels to Northwestern — which boasts the 39th-best rushing defense in the nation — to attempt to end its 2-game losing streak and avoid dropping below .500 for the first time this season.

Northwestern is coming off a 2-game streak of its own — it went into Iowa and Michigan State and came out with wins — big wins.

The Wildcats put up 54 points — the most Michigan State has allowed at home in program history and the most Northwestern has scored since tallying 59 against IU in 2011 — on the Spartans last week.

Northwestern allowed a combined total of 130 rushing yards in those two wins and 628 yards and five touchdowns through the air.

If Northwestern stops the IU running game like Wake Forest, Ohio State and Nebraska have, it could put up consecutive scores, as its offense is clicking on all 
cylinders.

Northwestern running back Justin Jackson leads the conference in rushing and receiver Austin Carr leads in receiving. Quarterback Clayton Thorson is fourth in passing with 233.5 yards per game.

Eleven carries is not enough for Redding, McCullough said. The running backs behind him want more carries as well.

That’s how the passing offense is able to be successful when it’s based on the run, McCullough and Paige said.

Meanwhile, Lagow is ranked second in the Big Ten in passing with 276 yards per game.

“If we run the ball successfully, we’re gonna win games,” McCullough said. “If we protect the ball, if we protect the quarterback and we run hard, we’re gonna win games.”