sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer sees fresh face in goal

Sophomore defender Andrew Gutman runs over to celebrate with the bench after his header in Indiana's 5-0 victory over Saint Louis at BIll Armstrong Stadium.

Senior Colin Webb was the incumbent goalkeeper coming into the 2016 season.

After 14 games, Webb has started each and every game for the Hoosiers. It seemed as if his job security was strong.

IU’s match against Wisconsin match last Friday allowed some doubt to creep in, and Tuesday’s game against St. Louis proved his job security was no longer the case.

Starting his second consecutive game and making his first career home start, senior Christian Lomeli posted his second consecutive clean sheet and helped IU win 5-0.

Lomeli was set to redshirt and play a fifth season for IU in 2017, but that changed as he was thrown into action in a conference game. Lomeli was told about the switch a few days prior and had time to prepare mentally and physically for the conference battle. He then carried the momentum from Friday’s clean sheet into Tuesday night.

“I was excited as could be to hop in goal,” Lomeli said. “I’m just kind of blessed to be in that situation.”

As a goalkeeper, Lomeli said it’s best to not be noticed. Through two matches so far, Lomeli’s stellar performances have kept him out of the spotlight — although that may be because of who is playing in front of him. The Crown Point, Indiana, native praised his backline. IU junior Grant Lillard has headed a stout IU defense all season with sophomore Timmy Mehl and senior Derek Creviston. Lomeli said he loves that as a goalkeeper.

“It’s been relieving when you have guys like Grant, Timmy and Crev back there,” Lomeli said. “To have them as a support system has made it a really easy transition back there with this whole 
situation.”

On Tuesday against Saint Louis, Lomeli wasn’t tested much. Saint Louis came in having scored just 17 goals and left Bloomington without adding to that total. IU’s defense played well once again, and Lomeli had to wait until the 85th minute to make his only save of the game.

Webb had only given up 12 goals all season long, and the change caught many people off guard. Yeagley said IU basically had two starting goalkeepers and he wanted to give the team a jolt heading into the postseason. It was not a performance-based switch.

“Christian has been great since he’s been here,” Yeagley said. “It’s a great situation as a program, tough for the individual in Colin’s case. I felt the team needed a different bounce to them and I know Christian has the ability to make an incredible save when needed.”

It is expected that Lomeli will keep getting starts in goal. Yeagley praised a certain part of his game that could really come into play with the postseason just around the corner.