sports men's basketball women's basketball

IU basketball kicks off season with Hoosier Hysteria

Junior Troy Williams dunks during Hoosier Hysteria on Saturday evening at Assembly Hall. Williams won both the 3-point and dunk contest.

The public will get its first look at the IU men’s and women’s basketball teams Saturday night when Hoosier Hysteria kicks off at 6:30 p.m. in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

Hoosier Hysteria is the annual unofficial kick-off for IU basketball and is designed to give fans a chance to watch an open practice and some scrimmage time. Both teams will have three-point contests.

The student athletes said they’re excited to get the season going inside newly renovated Assembly Hall, which received $40 million in upgrades and includes a new south lobby and improvements to bathrooms and concessions, among other additions.

Above the court, a brand new $1.04 million high-definition scoreboard will show scores, in-game stats and entertainment. The scoreboard spans 31 feet along the sidelines and just under 20 feet along the baselines.

“I’m just excited to get out there in front of all the fans, especially with all the new facilities,” men’s sophomore forward Juwan Morgan said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Hoosier Hysteria is historically about having a good time and entertaining the fans. All men’s and women’s players are introduced one-by-one and run out on to the court and dance to a song of their choice.

The women will kick off the program with some open practice time and a three-point contest. Junior guard Tyra Buss will defend her 2015 title in the event against junior forward Amanda Cahill and senior guards Amber Deane and Karlee McBride.

The men’s team will then get on the court for practice and scrimmage time, in addition to a dunk and the three-point contest. A trio of injured forwards will sit out the event. Morgan, junior forward Freddie McSwain Jr. and senior forward Collin Hartman will all stay on the sidelines.

For newcomers, Hoosier Hysteria will mark the first time they will able to play in front of a packed Assembly Hall. Junior guard Josh Newkirk was with IU last year but had to sit the season out due to transfer rules. He said he’s itching to get things going.

“I’m very ready. It’s my first chance to get back out there and be able to play,” Newkirk said. “It’s been a while since I was able to play basketball in front of fans.”

ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg will be the host of the event. Greenberg spent 22 years as a head coach, with stops at Long Beach State, South Florida and Virginia Tech, before becoming an analyst.

Doors will open at 5 p.m., and admission is free, but fans are encouraged to bring a canned good to support Hoosier Hills Food Bank. All fans in attendance will receive a free 2016-17 men’s basketball poster schedule and be able to take advantage of autograph sessions in the new south lobby from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m.

Freshman forward De’Ron Davis said the energy and excitement surrounding the event has him ready to go and eager to put on a show for the fans. He said the new facilities will add to the environment in the arena.

“It’s crazy. They just got done building the new facility, so everything’s new in there,” Davis said. “It’s going to be fun, and I’m looking forward to it. Everybody’s been hyping it up all week.”