FINAL: IU defeats Maryland 42-36

spIUvMaryland

IU entered its matchup against Maryland having lost four of its last five games, including a 24-14 loss to Northwestern on the road last week. Maryland came to Bloomington on the heels of its fifth victory.

After stalling a 39-yard Maryland opening drive, the Hoosiers took over in their own territory and quickly made their way into Terrapin territory. Once junior quarterback Richard Lagow and junior running back Devine Redding had pushed inside the Maryland 40-yard line though, junior quarterback Zander Diamont and freshman running back Tyler Natee came into the game.

The pair moved the ball well on the ground, and Diamont finished the drive by scoring the game’s first touchdown on a quarterback-keeper around the right side. IU took an early lead, 6-0, after a botch snap kept IU from getting an extra point attempt off.

On Maryland’s ensuing drive, freshman defensive back Marcelino Ball intercepted a deep pass from Maryland quarterback Perry Hills.

The Hoosiers took advantage of the takeaway and moved the ball 91 yards down the field in four minutes. Redding punched the ball into the endzone from one yard out and the Hoosiers widened their lead to 13-0.

The Terrapins responded quickly, as freshman running back Ty Johnson, who averaged 10.3 yards per carry coming into the game, took a reverse hand-off 66 yards down the right sideline for Maryland’s first score of the game.

The first quarter would end with IU leading Maryland, 13-7.

To open the second quarter, IU drove 82 down the field thanks to four rushes for 33 yards from Natee. The Hoosiers fell short of the goal line though, and junior kicker Griffin Oakes hit a 20-yard field goal to push the score to 16-7.

Maryland responded with a Hills rushing touchdown after driving 65 yards on 10 plays. 53 of the 65 yards came on the ground, as the Terrapins were able to find holes in the IU defense.

The IU lead tightened to 16-14.

After nearly eight minutes without a score, Maryland was able to drive into IU territory and keep its drive alive on a third down thanks to a Pat Dougherty personal foul. Hills found receiver DJ Moore for a touchdown in the front-left corner of the endzone for the touchdown.

Maryland took the lead and held it through the last minute of the first half, 21-16.

After a high-scoring first half, it took nearly 10 minutes for either team to score in the second half. The Hoosiers drove 87 yards on 10 plays, thanks to two catches for 62 yards from senior receiver Ricky Jones, and Lagow kept it himself to find the end zone from five yards out to give IU a 23-21 lead.

On Maryland’s next drive, the Terrapins converted on fourth down near midfield and drove 61 yards inside IU’s 10-yard line. Facing a third down, the Terps called for a jet sweep, and junior defensive lineman Greg Gooch stopped the runner for a loss, forcing Maryland to attempt a field goal.

The Terrapins hit the 32-yard field goal and took the lead back, 24-23.

After losing the lead, the Hoosiers took over at their own 25-yard line and drove 75 yards in five plays, the largest being a 27-yard run from sophomore running back Mike Majette. Paige then took a reverse 15 yards into the endzone.

IU failed to convert on the 2-point conversion and took a 5-point lead, 29-24, at the end of the third quarter.

After Oakes missed a 28-yard field goal Hills was sacked by junior linebacker Marcus Oliver and the ball was stripped. Ball recovered the ball at Maryland’s 6-yard line, and Natee punched the ball into the endzone two plays later.

The Hoosiers took an 11-point lead against the Terrapins, 35-24, with 8:30 left in the game.

After the IU touchdown, Maryland had a 65-yard drive capped by a 5-yard rush by Hills, who hurdled freshman defensive back A’Shon Riggins.

The Terrapins wanted to pull within a field goal of the Hoosiers, so they went for two points. Hills tossed the ball out to senior offensive lineman Michael Dunn, who charged toward Riggins in open field form the 7-yard line. Riggins made the stop and the Hoosiers led by five point, 35-30.

While milking the clock down with less than three minutes to go in the game, Diamont fake the hand-off to Natee and found a seam on the right side of the field. He took the ball 52 yards for a touchdown and extended IU’s lead to 12 points, 42-30.

Maryland added a touchdown at the end, but IU still got its fourth win of the season with a final score of 42-36.

Halftime Stats:

QB Richard Lagow: 16-of-25, 207 yards

QB Zander Diamont: 1-of-1, 29 yards, 11 carries, 104 yards, two touchdowns

RB Tyler Natee: 18 carries, 111 yards, one touchdown

RB Devine Redding: 17 carries, 130 yards, one touchdown

Taylor Lehman