Campus-wide Scream Fest planned for students

Campus filler image

Students can grab their trick-or-treat bags, throw on their costumes and get ready for a scare, because on Friday, IU Late Nite is hosting a Scream Fest.

Six different locations will be sponsoring different spooky activities Friday for students to attend — for free.

“We are very excited,” OASIS director Jackie Daniels said. “It’s nice to help students plan scary events that offer alternatives to traveling off campus or to parties.”

Daniels has been planning the Scream Fest for a few months with the IU Late Nite committee.

From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the Indiana Memorial Union, students can visit and decorate pumpkins, play billiards or bowl. There will be live music performed by Pushing Daisies, a band from outside Indianapolis, program coordinator Kaila Messerli said.

Union Board will also be showing “The Blair Witch Project” at 11 p.m. in the Whittenberger Auditorium, as well as “A Nightmare on Elm Street” before Late Nite hours at 8 p.m. The haunted house, “Nightmare on 7th Street,” will be set up in the IMU basement. There will be spider webs, a butcher shop and a lot of other creepy aspects.

“If anyone’s looking for anything fun to do right before Halloween, it’s a great way to get into the Halloween spirit,” Messerli said.

Last year, the IMU and Teter Quad both put on haunted houses. Teter drew over 400 students, and the IMU drew over 600. In light of this, the Late Nite crew began working on hosting a larger event encompassing these two activities.

“Everyone loves Halloween, right?” Daniels said. “Why settle for one venue when you can attend all of them?”

The IU First Year Experience Programs will be sponsoring “Are you Afraid of the Dark?” from 9 to 11 p.m. at the FYE house on the back porch on Jordan Avenue, where they will be sharing ghoulish tales.

At the Herman B Wells Library, students can drop in the south lobby and commons from 9 to 11 p.m. to do some trick-or-treating.

“Fright Night,” Teter’s haunted house, will be open from 9 p.m. to midnight. To enter, students should use the circle drive entrance.

Last but not least, the Willkie Residence Center will be hosting a “Midnight Madness” dance party from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the IU Auditorium. At both the dance and the Union Board movie at 11 p.m., there will also be costume contests. Winners from each venue have the chance to win $250, 
Daniels said.

Daniels advised students to use the Night Owl bus to travel to the different venues, and to wear costumes that are visible to drivers. She explained that Late Nite events are a safe way to have fun on the weekend.

“The events are safe alternatives for students — whether they drink or not,” Daniels said.

To learn more about IU Late Nite, students can find them on Twitter @IULateNite, on Facebook at IU Late Nite, or on the BeINvolved website.

Daniels suggested visiting the First Year Experience back porch first, then traveling to the IMU, Teter and Willkie. She said students looking for physical activity might try the “Fright Hike” with IU Outdoor Adventures and finish the night with a movie at the IMU.

“The truth is, I want to do it all,” Daniels said. “I love Halloween.”