IU Coach Kevin Wilson updates statuses of injured Hoosiers

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs is walked off the field at Memorial Stadium on Saturday after being injured during IU's game against Ball State. IU won 30-20.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson gave updates on the injury statuses of a few of his players Tuesday during 
the weekly Big Ten teleconference.

Senior offensive lineman Dan Feeney, who suffered a concussion against Ball State on Saturday, is undergoing concussion protocol. Wilson said the coaching staff has been out recruiting early this week, so he hasn’t seen Feeney personally, but he also hasn’t heard anything negative in regards to his progress.

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. hurt his ankle on IU’s first offensive series.

In line with Wilson’s thoughts post-game that Cobbs may require surgery, the Hoosier receiver underwent surgery on his ankle Tuesday morning.

Cobbs, who racked up over 1,000 yards receiving last year, won’t be rejoining the team any time soon.

“I think based on the wear and tear, or the timeline for recovery, maybe he can get back toward the end of the year, but he’s got a redshirt year,” Wilson said. “So, we’ll just see how it goes. But he had surgery today, so he’ll be on the shelf for a while.”

Feeney received a redshirt in 2013 after he suffered a season-ending foot injury during preseason camp, so if his concussion does keep him out for an extended period of time, that isn’t an option for Wilson and the IU coaching staff.

On a lighter note, it appears junior running back Camion Patrick is on track to be back by the start of Big Ten play in October.

Patrick, who transferred from East Mississippi Community College last year and spent the season on the scout team due to academic issues, injured his knee during spring ball.

Wilson said Patrick’s knee is healthy and strong and that his quad and muscle strength are coming around, so he’ll be able to stay stable and make any sudden changes in the open field.

When Patrick does come back, which could be soon, he’ll likely start out on the perimeter so he can build up his stamina and get his legs underneath him.

“He gets a fair amount of practice for not technically being cleared full-go yet, with the open date week we’ll see.” Wilson said.