crime & courts

Van drives into Buffalo Wild Wings Tuesday night

Region filler image

Police were dispatched to Buffalo Wild Wings on Bloomfield Road Tuesday night after a van drove into the restaurant. Two people believed to be the driver and passenger were taken to the hospital.

The driver, a 17 year-old girl, said she and two passengers had pulled over on W. 2nd Street in order to drink vodka. One of the other passengers, a 19 year-old girl, said they dropped a third passenger before they crashed into Buffalo Wild Wings. 

The 17-year-old told police she had six to eight drinks but after that she did not remember anything until the she drove into the building. 

Sophomores Patrick Wettig and Justin Wentz said they were sitting in the booth next to where the van hit.

“Our table pushed out a foot or two,” Wettig said. “It pushed us to the side.”

Wetting said the car caught on fire after it crashed. Wentz said he heard someone in the next booth begin yelling “Help her!” after the impact.

Samantha Sur sat at a table with her friends near the area as well. She said no one was sitting at the tables the van hit.

“Those tables were empty,” Sur said. “We’re happy no one sat there.”

Sur was sitting with her friends at the time of impact. She said when the car hit, she didn’t know what to think.

“I thought maybe a TV fell,” Sur said. Shortly after she said a fire alarm went off and people began running out of the restaurant.

According to police reports, no one was seriously injured at the restaurant itself.