Late drama lifts IU men's soccer over in-state rival Butler

spiums

A two-goal lead in an IU-Butler men’s soccer game means absolutely nothing.

The Hoosiers went up 2-0 against the Bulldogs last year before Butler stormed back to force overtime and end the game in a draw. This year, it was the Hoosiers’ turn.

Sophomore Austin Panchot tapped in a cross from senior forward Phil Fives from four feet away in the seventh minute of extra time to successfully erase a two-goal Hoosier deficit, defeating Butler 3-2 in thrilling fashion.

“The character of this team and the way that they’re relentless with the score 2-0, I was really proud of,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “You could feel it that they were just going to keep going, but I love the mentality of that says a lot about this team and about this program.”

The first 45 minutes of the game were played to a scoreless draw, and it wasn’t until 13 minutes into the second half that the scoring 
opened up.

Butler made the most of its few attacking chances, sending long shots into the box that turned out positive for the Bulldogs. A strike from 35 yards out that reflected off another player made senior goalkeeper Colin Webb lose his footing and found the back of the net after grazing off his fingertips.

It wasn’t until three minutes later that Butler’s scoring leader, senior David Goldsmith, blasted a ball into the upper-right-hand corner to give the Bulldogs a two-goal lead.

Although the Hoosier offense had found the back of the net just twice over the past three games, the game seemed to open up more down two. The Hoosiers had to push more players forward and into the Butler box to create more scoring opportunities.

“We were able to create more chances. They got a couple counters, which we knew might happen, but we had to take that calculated risk,” Yeagley said. “Yes, it did open up, but we knew at that point if we had to concede another goal that we would deal with it.”

Except the Hoosiers didn’t concede any goals the rest of the game, and Yeagley’s gamble paid off.

Sophomore midfielder Trevor Swartz struck a corner to find senior midfielder Tanner Thompson at the back-post as Thompson was able to cut the deficit to one.

Five minutes later, it was Thompson getting the Hoosiers going again after a handball in the box was called against Butler. The 5-foot-7 senior lined up to take the penalty kick, but he was denied as Fives controlled the ball on the left wing and sent a shot on goal. Swartz was at the far post to get the equalizer and eventually send the game into extra time.

“We position two guys on each side of the box for that reason,” Swartz said. “Phil was there on the other side to get that shot and I just came in on the other side. We train it every week, and I was just in the right spot and put it away.”

IU had been on the opposite side of a 3-2 overtime defeat to Butler back in 2013 as well. The Hoosiers jumped out to a 2-0 lead in that game before watching the Bulldogs comeback and pull out the victory, just like the Hoosiers did Wednesday night.

“I really like this team,” Yeagley said. “I think they have strong character and really good balance in the way they help one another. It doesn’t surprise me that they were capable in doing that, and that’s why this was a good night.”