sports women's soccer

Freshman goalkeeper wins two Big Ten weekly awards

IU women’s soccer freshman goalkeeper Sarah L’Hommedieu was named defensive player of the week and freshman player of the week by the Big Ten Conference on Tuesday.

The accolades came after L’Hommedieu picked up two wins while starting in net for the Hoosiers this past 
weekend.

On Friday night, L’Hommedieu recorded eight saves as IU won its first game of the season 1-0 at Butler. The Ohio native made seven of her eight saves in the second half of the match and helped IU secure the road to victory in Indianapolis.

L’Hommedieu followed her Friday performance by registering six saves against Northern Colorado on Sunday afternoon, and IU won 3-0. This was the first home victory for the Hoosiers since Oct. 31, 2014.

L’Hommedieu’s shutout against Butler also came in only her second collegiate match. Her first game was IU’s season opener Aug. 19, a 1-1 draw at home against 
Louisville.

This is the first time in IU women’s soccer program history the same player has been selected for two weekly awards by the Big Ten. The last time the Big Ten selected the same player for both Defensive Player of the Week and Freshman Player of the Week honors was in October 2014, when Rutgers goalkeeper Casey Murphy earned both awards.

Sarah Stone was the last IU player to receive the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award, which she earned as a senior Sept. 1, 2015.

The last Hoosier to win the Freshman of the Week award was current junior midfielder Kayla Smith on Nov. 3, 2014.