Former IU basketball great Quinn Bucker named to IU Board of Trustees

spiubbvswisconsin18

Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner and Scott May laugh at a press conference before the game against Wisconsin on Jan. 5 at Assembly Hall. The 1976 IU basketball team was honored at half for the 40 year anniversary of their undefeated season. Haley Ward Buy Photos

Fans of IU basketball will recognize one of the most recent additions to IU’s Board of Trustees.

Gov. Mike Pence appointed former IU star and longtime Pacers executive Quinn Buckner to the board Friday. Buckner will remain on the board for at least the next three years and was appointed along with Melanie Walker.

“Quinn Buckner is a business leader, philanthropist, Olympian and Hoosier basketball legend,” Pence said. “He epitomizes the Hoosier spirit and tradition that are synonymous with Indiana University and will do a tremendous job for IU.”

Buckner played in Bloomington from 1972-1976, winning four Big Ten titles in his four seasons. The guard was also captain of the undefeated 1976 national champions and was the captain of the gold-medal winning 1976 U.S. Olympic basketball team.

Buckner was also named Vice President of Communications for Pacers Sports and Entertainment in 2004 and is also serving as the color analyst for all Indiana Pacers TV broadcasts.

Michael Hughes

More