IU Maurer School of Law named 22 students as Milton Stewart Fellows

The 2016 Milton Stewart Fellows

The IU Maurer School of Law named 22 students as Milton Stewart Fellows for its Stewart Fellows Overseas Externship Program for 2016, the largest class in the program’s history.

The fellowship allows law students to spend the summer working around the world for legal internships in countries such as Argentina, India and 
Vietnam.

Professor Jayanth Krishnan, director of the Center on the Global Legal Profession that offers the fellowship program, said this class brings the total number of students who have participated in the program to 
100, according to a press 
release.

This summer’s fellows will be completing internships in Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam, according to a press release.

“We have seen continued growth in interest, applications and placements through this incredible program,” said professor Christiana Ochoa, a Charles L. Whistler Faculty Fellow. “This year we are pleased to add Vietnam to the list of participating countries.”

The full list of students named as Milton Stewart Fellows can be found on the Maurer School of Law’s 
website.

Professor William Henderson established the Center on the Global Legal Profession in 2009.

According to the website, the Center on the Global Legal Profession’s mission is three-fold: to advance knowledge about the global legal profession through research, to provide students with opportunities for hands-on learning about law in other countries and to build partnerships with other law schools around the globe.

The center began administering the Milton Stewart Fellowship Program in 2010. The program was named after law school alumnus Milton Stewart, who has provided donations to the center along with his wife.

The two were recently in Bloomington to congratulate the 22 students admitted to the program, according to a press release.

Krishnan said the fellowship program allows students to prepare for their careers in law with a global perspective, according to a press release.

“The Center on the Global Legal Profession was founded on the idea that an increasingly global economy demands 
better-trained and better-prepared attorneys,” Krishnan said in a press release. “For the past seven years, the Stewart Fellows have had the opportunity to prepare for the future by experiencing the legal profession throughout the world.”

Bridget Murray