Monday, March 18

sports track & field

IU track and field has great success at Big Ten meet

IU competed in the Big Ten Championships this weekend in Lincoln, 
Nebraska.

The Hoosiers sent 56 athletes to the meet and many of the athletes that competed had great success.

Two Hoosiers left Nebraska as Big Ten champions.

IU came into the women’s hammer throw with the top two seeds in the event. Senior Laura Schroder was the two seed in the hammer throw and walked away as the Big Ten champion. Her first toss of 63.94 meters was her personal best.

Redshirt junior Nakel McClinton came in second in the event.

“Having the top two finishers at the conference championship is such a great accomplishment,” IU assistant coach Cory Martin said in a press release. “I am proud of the way they have battled this season, and how they competed tonight.”

Senior pole vaulter Sydney Clute won the Big Ten women’s pole vault championship, setting a school record when she cleared the 4.42-meter bar.

Sophomore distance runner Daniel Kuhn finished second in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:47.01

Redshirt junior distance runner Matt Schwartzer finished third in the men’s 10,000-meter race. His time of 29:48.15 was good for the 10th best time in IU history.

Redshirt senior distance runner Jason Crist finished third in the 5K with a time of 14:13.32.

In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, redshirt senior distance runner Brianna Johnson finished third. Her time of 10:13.21 was the best of her career and was the fourth fastest time in IU history.

Crist was not too far behind Johnson as he finished sixth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time 
of 9:02.94.

His teammate, redshirt senior Joshua Roche, was just 0.5 seconds behind. Roche finished seventh in the steeplechase with a time of 9:02.99.

Freshman thrower Willie Morrison had a career best shot put as his mark of 19.25 meters was good for fourth place.

The Hoosiers had three top-10 finishers in the women’s 1500. Sophomore Brenna Clader (4:22.71) finished fifth, junior Olivia Hippensteel (4:24.00) finished sixth and sophomore Katherine Raceveur (4:24.24) finished seventh.

In the other field events, sophomore Paul Galas finished sixth in the high jump with a jump of 92.07 meters. Junior Ari Nelson finished sixth in the women’s long jump with a jump of 6.06 
meters.

Sophomore Chase Pacheco finished 11th in the decathlon. During the course of the events, Pacheco accumulated his career high in points. His mark of 6,809 was also good for eighth best in IU history for the decathlon.

Junior Michelle Adeniyi also had a great weekend in the heptathlon. Adeniyi finished 11th in the event and her point total of 4,630 points was good for her personal best mark and the 10th best in IU history.

The women’s 4x100 meter relay team finished eighth with a time of 46.01. The team was made up of Nelson, freshman Riley Egbula, freshman Maya Caudle and freshman Jaela Gay.