The evolving community bookstore

Numerous used books line the shelves of Caveat Emptor, a used book store on Walnut Street. This June will mark the business' 45th year.

It’s no secret that the literature industry has been taken over by the Internet bug that has affected so many already.

It was like a little part of my childhood broke off when I saw the Borders by my house close down a few years ago.

I still remember perusing the children’s section for hours every week or so to find my next book.

Bookstores like Borders, Barnes & Noble and even Half-Priced Books were where my love of reading could grow into new genres and authors.

I still think a place where a ton of books just sit waiting for you to discover is pretty magical.

A downtown Bloomington staple, Caveat Emptor, will be next on the list for places closing down if it is not sold.

While I’ve only been in a couple times, this sad event caused me to reflect on what we lose when bookstores close.

Now, this is not to decry technology or say that books are obsolete — I own a Kindle that I love — but I also still pick up books, whether it is because of price or sentimental value.

But I want to consider the role bookstores play for literature lovers.

The days of authors meeting up in local bookstores to talk shop are less common, but a place where kids, teens and even adults in book clubs can meet up to discuss literature is always needed.

Where will that public reading of one of your favorite authors happen?

I vividly remember sitting on the floor with a bunch of other kids my age, listening to “A Series of Unfortunate Events” book being read aloud.

Without that sense of community that comes with book lovers, or those interested in picking up the hobby, congregating in one place, it’s hard to foster a love of books.

When you go on the Internet, you have so many choices of what to do that often searching for a new book can get pushed aside.

You certainly can’t go on the Amazon homepage without being bombarded with suggested purchases that look way more appealing than starting the needle in the haystack search for your next read.

Libraries are a great alternative to bookstores, but it’s not the same.

The role of the library is evolving more and more into a place for computers, and many community events usually take place in libraries, not just literature related ones.

Ultimately, the support of local bookstores, or even chain ones, is going to rely on the people who are willing to spend the money.

It’s hard to turn down the cheaper, easier options available online, but consider the loss of a bookstore with that purchase.

It’s one of the only environments where you can be relaxed, liberal with your interests and know you are in a place where everyone else loves literature, too.