Police looking for suspect in Brothers stabbing

Region filler image

A man was stabbed early Saturday morning and suffered a deep laceration to his side. When Bloomington Police Department officers arrived, the man was inside Brothers Bar and Grill, according to a BPD report. No arrests have been made and information is not yet available on the suspect.

Bloomington Police Department detectives are interviewing witnesses and attempting to review Brothers and other relevant video surveillance to determine a suspect, Lt. John Kovach said.

As far as Kovach knew Saturday afternoon, BPD does not have a suspect. This brief will be updated as more information comes from BPD.

Around 1 a.m., BPD officers responded to a call regarding a “fight” inside Brothers. When they entered the bar, they saw a man clutching his side. He was bleeding from a stab wound to his left side. He was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

Lt. John Kovach said as far as he knew, the victim went into surgery. If the stabbing victim did go under, Kovach said, he will be interviewed as soon as he comes out of surgery.

The victim, 23, has a west Bloomington address. Kovach did not know if he is a student.

Indiana Daily Student reporter Annie Garau was at the scene and witnessed most of the police response to the stabbing. She live-tweeted some of the action. She reported that witnesses said 10 minutes after someone was kicked out of the bar, a different man entered wearing a white, blood-soaked shirt. She also reported that after the stabbing, a food truck worker said a customer was punched in the face.

Hannah Alani