sports baseball

14 former IU baseball players on professional rosters to start season

A former IU baseball player started for the World Series favorite on opening day. Kyle Schwarber, a catcher at IU from 2012 to 2014, started in left field and batted sixth in the Chicago Cubs 9-0 win against the Los Angeles Angels.

After a quick rise through the minors in his first full season of professional baseball, Schwarber was called to the majors last year to help the Cubs get into the National League Championship Series.

In total, 14 former Hoosiers debuted for various MLB organizations, and one other played for an independent team. Josh Phegley is the only other former IU baseball player on a major league roster. He is listed as a catcher for the Oakland Athletics.

Phegley was among the first group of players recruited by former IU Coach Tracy Smith, who is widely credited with bringing the IU baseball program into national prominence. Other players who were part of that group and are now in AAA include Jake Dunning, Alex Dickerson and Micah Johnson.

A few of Schwarber’s former teammates on the team that went to IU’s first-ever College World Series in 2013 are also scattered throughout various levels of professional baseball.

First baseman Sam Travis is with the Pawtucket Red Sox, the AAA affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. Travis was a non-roster invitee to spring training this year and drew comparisons to current Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt.

Pitcher Aaron Slegers started the year with the Chattanooga Lookouts, the AA affiliate of the Minnesota Twins.

Players from that College World Series team who are playing at the A level are Scott Effross, Christian Morris, Joey DeNato, Dustin DeMuth and Ryan Halstead.

Michael Hughes