Ray Looze named Coach of the Year, Lilly King named Swimmer of the Year

After winning two NCAA titles as a freshman, standout breaststroke swimmer Lilly King was unanimously named Women’s Big Ten Swimmer of the Year on Tuesday. King was awarded the College Swimming Coaches Association of America Swimmer of the year as well.

The Evansville, Indiana, native marked her place in the American record books after being the first woman to swim under 57 seconds in the 100 breast stroke and under 2:04 in the 200 breaststroke.

King is also now the 10th woman in NCAA history to bring home two national titles in the events. King also received four All-American honors at her first NCAA Championships.

Other recognitions for King include Big Ten Freshman of the Year and First-Team All-Big Ten. At the Big Ten Championships, King brought home four gold medals and one bronze medal.

IU Coach Ray Looze was named Big Ten Swimming Coach of the Year after the IU women’s team had its best NCAA performance in program history. The Hoosiers finished seventh, totaling 228 points. This is the fourth accolade for Looze as the women’s coach.

At Big Ten Championships, the IU women’s team lost to Michigan but managed to step on the podium and receive 16 medals in team and individual events.

Hailey Hernandez