Pence signs adoption act into law

Governor Mike Pence signs SEA 91 last Friday. SEA 91 will open all adoption records finalized before 1994 unless a birth parent requests with the Indiana State Department of Health that the records remain sealed. The legislation goes into effect on July 1, 2018, thereby providing time to inform birth mothers about these changes. “SEA 91 expands opportunities for adopted Hoosiers seeking more information on their health and heritage even while ensuring that birthparents who choose to maintain their privacy are protected, and I am pleased to sign it into law,” said Governor Pence. “I want Indiana to be known as the most pro-adoption state in America and SEA 91 will give greater clarity and compassion to our adoption laws.”

Gov. Mike Pence recently signed an act that will open all adoption records finalized before Jan. 1, 1994.

Senate Enrolled Act 91 was authored by Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, Sen. Michael Delph, R-Carmel and Sen. Randall Head, R-Logansport. It mandates the records will open beginning July 1, 2018, unless the birth parent files a contact preference form with the Indiana State Department of Health to keep the records closed.

The act will not go into effect until 2018 so as to give mothers time to hear about the changes, according to a press release from the Office of the Governor.

According to the Indiana General Assembly website, before this act, identifying adoption information only had to be released for adoptions filed after Dec. 31, 1993.

“SEA 91 expands opportunities for adopted Hoosiers seeking more information on their health and heritage even while ensuring that birthparents who choose to maintain their privacy are protected, and I am pleased to sign it into law,” Pence said in the release. “I want Indiana to be known as the most pro-adoption state in America, and SEA 91 will give greater clarity and compassion to our adoption laws.”