CollegeFashionista founder reflects on company evolution

Amy Levin, IU graduate and creative director of CollegeFashionita, founded the website in 2009 for college students interested in fashion, beauty, decor, and lifestyle trends.

CollegeFashionista began as a personal blog in 2009.

Now, seven years later, the company is at 500 schools and has more than 1,500 student contributors each semester.

Founder and IU alumna Amy Levin, who started the blog her senior year, created CollegeFashionista when she realized there were no websites talking specifically about college fashion, she said.

“I felt like no one was focusing on college students when it came to fashion,” Levin said. “I wanted a place where college students could come and share their advice, and really feel like they were a part of the industry and connecting with one another.”

The blog began focusing on college street style fashion, including brands college students were wearing, how they were styling their outfits and how other students could imitate them, Levin said.

The real evolution of the brand happened in 2013, when it went from a simple blog to an actual company, Levin said.

“It was a lot of trial and error,” Levin said. “Figuring out what type of content college students like and identifying how college students engage with one another.”

The website now has an editorial calendar, featuring content about fashion, beauty, décor and lifestyle.

The company just launched a new “Office Hours” podcast series. In each episode, Levin chats with fashion and beauty industry insiders about their careers and how they got to where they are today.

The first episode features Joyce Chang, editor-in-chief of Self magazine.

“I was always a believer and determined and motivated, which are qualities you need to have to start your own company,” Levin said.

CollegeFashionista has the ability to affect students’ lives and help them launch a career, Levin said.

“At Indiana and schools in the middle of nowhere, CollegeFashionista is actually shaping their careers,” Levin said. “It’s this gang — you have this forever kind of loyalty to the brand if you’re a part of it.”

Martha Eelman, a senior at IU, started writing for CollegeFashionista in January 2015.

CollegeFashionista improved her writing skills and connected her to a network of style gurus across the country, Eelman said.

“They provide so many opportunities that you normally couldn’t get,” Eelman said. “I’ve participated in collaborations that they run with Steve Madden, Old Navy, Sephora and Clinique.”

Levin said her best piece of advice for aspiring entrepreneurs is to work hard and seize every opportunity but also enjoy every phase in the career path.

“Don’t be in such a rush to get to the next phase,” Levin said. “Everyone wants to be Anna Wintour. Enjoy the ride a little bit. Take each job and each role as it comes.”