weekend

Return of the review

Courtesy photo

Perhaps it is Stockholm syndrome or just the fact “Star Wars” has broken me as a human being, but I really enjoyed “Star Wars: Episode VI — Return of the Jedi”. After watching the newest trilogy and pondering how painful it would be to pull out my eyeballs, I feel as if this entire saga was worth it as I finally saw a movie good enough to live up to the hype everyone has been screeching at me during the past, oh, 20 years of my existence.

The film, directed by Richard Marquand, was an exhilarating watch that had plot, character development and intriguing fight scenes. The reason I emphasize Marquand’s name is because George Lucas did his darndest to destroy the movie with pointless CGI and more Hayden Christensen.

“Go home, Hayden Christensen,” I yelled at the screen. “That’s a bad Hayden Christensen. Begone!”

The entire movie and original trilogy hinge on Darth Vader as the emotional fulcrum. Vader’s constant need to please his evil master while also wanting to protect his son is powerful, and his final decision — don’t want to spoil it for you — makes sense in how his character has grown throughout time.

Now, let’s get to everyone’s favorite koala-things: ewoks. They easily could have been overused like Jar Jar Binks is later in the series, but their existence only helps to further signify the variety of species in the “Star Wars” universe.

This movie has actual star power, led by Indiana Jones, erm, Han Solo, played by Harrison Ford; Princess Leia, played by Carrie Fisher; and Luke Skywalker, played by Mark Hamill. They are captivating presences with their own subplots. They’re not one-dimensional, grouchy, empty vessels — I’m looking at you, Hayden Christensen — but instead leads that hold up the heavy plot.

Ford’s acting, smug look and actual ability to look like an action hero are critical for the film to feel epic.

The movie jumps from location to location, but it doesn’t feel forced like in other “Star Wars” films. Instead it feels like a common development of the plot.

So, there. I actually really liked one. It took me way too many hours, an immense amount of contact solvent so I could see the screen and many walks trying to purge the latest trilogy out of my mind, but I did it.

I have finally watched all of the “Star Wars” films. Now it’s time to sleep.