New policies governing greek life to be implemented

The Office of the Provost, Office of Student Life and Learning and Dean of Students Office are in the process of implementing a new set of policies for self-governing student organizations, including one that would allow the IU Police Department to enter houses at any time.

The policy contains an addendum specific to greek life on IU’s campus, outlining clearer guidelines and regulations for sororities and fraternities. The new policies were mentioned at the Oct. 20 Bloominton Faculty Council meeting under the Presiding Officer’s Report made by Provost Lauren Robel.

IU-Bloomington campus is piloting the new policies, with intentions of their expansion to all eight IU campuses, Steve Veldkamp, assistant dean of students, said. They are in review during the current academic year in order to allow for feedback and discussion on their effectiveness, according to the policy.

“At this point, there have been a lot of conversations with the administration, undergraduates, alumni and representatives from national offices for the last two years,” Harold “Pete” Goldsmith, dean of students, said. “This is an attempt to clarify and redefine our relationship with student 
organizations.”

The student organization policy outlines the definitions and benefits of self-governing student organizations, University student organizations and nonregistered student organizations. It serves as a formal recognition of the independent relationship between student organizations and IU, according to the policy.

The fraternity and sorority addendum, which was developed between IU administration and legal counsel, contains stricter policies on safety, education and advising. Social events at greek houses have more requirements, including registration with the Dean of Students Office 10 days in advance of the event. The addendum also requires documentation of programs on membership, risk management, academics and standards from each sorority and fraternity. Requirements for fraternity and sorority advisors are made clear as well.

Housed greek organizations are given further policies to follow in the addendum. Each housed fraternity and sorority must have a live-in house director, hired by the organization’s housing corporation. Restrictions on alcohol in houses are also outlined. Housed fraternities and sororities must also agree to allow IU officials and police officers to enter and inspect any and all areas of the house at any time.

“Greek student organizations operate under special circumstances,” Goldsmith said. “This policy is looking to improve the quality of greek life on campus in 
general.”

The fraternity and sorority addendum is also part of the implementation of the Vision for the Ideal Fraternity and Sorority Community, or VIFSC, an effort led by the Office of the Provost and the Dean of Students Office. The addendum and the VIFSC have been in planning since January, Veldkamp said.

According to the document, the VIFSC focuses on the four goals of being purpose-driven, maintaining high standards, promoting diversity and inclusion and improving health and safety. The document also highlights positive steps being taken by greek organizations, including philanthropy work and academic achievement, while also pointing out areas in need of improvement, such as student accountability and a lack of adequate on-campus training programs.

“We intend that their living environments will be safer and healthier, that they will contribute positively to a student’s undergraduate experience and that they will have more of an educational and learning role as well as a social role,” Goldsmith said.

The student organization policy and its fraternity and sorority addendum are in the process of being introduced currently. Implementation dates for the rest of the goals of VIFSC have not yet been determined.

“Some things are still in the works right now,” said Brian Singer, vice president of communications for the Interfraternity Council. “It’s difficult to say right now how greek life will be affected.”

The other greek councils affected by the new addendum, the Panhellenic Association, the National Panhellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council, declined to comment.