Indiana joins effort to fight debt collection abuses

Indiana will join a nationwide effort to stop debt collection abuse, according to a press release from the Indiana Attorney General.

The project, called Operation Collection Protection, led to 100 actions filed against illegal debt collection at the federal state and local levels, according to the press release.

“The debt collection industry is governed by federal and state laws that aim to make the process more transparent and fair for consumers,” Attorney General Greg Zoeller said in the press release. “My office hears from hundreds of consumers each year about debt collectors who use threatening, false and illegal tactics to pursue debt. Many of these third-party debt collection agencies operate nationally, so cooperation among federal, state and local partners is key to stopping this abuse.”

The Federal Trade Commission, U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Department of Justice, 17 state regulatory agencies and one Canadian provincial regulatory agency are some of the more than 75 organizations that have joined Operation Collection Protection.

The groups share information and take joint actions, and they work together to implement policy and enforce policies, according to the press release.

By Indiana and federal law, collectors must not use fear-inspiring, deceptive or unfair methods, and they may not threaten criminal action, according to the press release.

Nine hundred and twelve debt collection complaints came to the state office of the Attorney General in 2014 and 2015, according to the press release. Debt collection abuse is one of the most common complaints received by the agency.